Chicken Breast Question
  Re: (...)
I need to know the best way to cook up a couple of chicken breasts. We're planning a trip to the city tomorrow and this will put us back home close to dinnertime, I'm thinking. (Much sooner if William has anything to say about it...LOL) Anyway, I've decided our appy dinner will have to wait for Monday night, so I'm going with the Remoulade Chicken Salad Sandwich with Barbecue Macaroni with Corn & Scallions from C@H Fresh and Fabulous, page 21. The chicken salad recipe calls for three cups of cooked chicken breast, shredded. How would you cook the chicken so that it is tender and flavorful? OR would you pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store and use the breast meat from that?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Chicken Breast Question by Gourmet_Mom (I need to know the b...)
Those rotisserie chickens can be really handy for that, as long as the flavour of such a chicken won't overpower or clash with that flavours you're trying to use. Otherwise, just boiling a couple of plain chicken breasts in chicken stock will work or so will baking, as with the method used in the arepa recipe I posted earlier.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chicken Breast Question by labradors (Those rotisserie chi...)
Thanks, Labs...that's what I was thinking. I'll see how my time is going.
Daphne
Daphne, My favorite way to prepare chicken for these types of dishes if I don't have any leftover beer can chicken is to grill. Is it boneless/skinless or something else. Mine are usually boneless/skinless. I thaw and marinate in a vinegarett - what ever flavor would compliment. I pound them to an even thickness either before or after the marinate - depends on when I remember that I need to pound them. Then grill until just done indeirect heat. Tent and rest. This is my fave.

I have also simmered or baked in cream - really yummy.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I would pick up a roasted chicken and use that. If I was going to do it, I would use Ina's method from her chicken salads.
Preheat oven to 350°. Place the chicken breasts, skin side up, on a sheet pan and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for in a 350° oven 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside until cool. When the chicken is cool, remove the meat from the bones and discard the skin and bones. I would not use my big oven, instead I would use my toaster oven for the 2 breasts.
  Re: Re: Chicken Breast Question by esgunn (Daphne, My favorite...)
Erin, I may try this instead of poaching...no pot to wash...LOL!

Cubangirl, thanks for the idea, but that's a little long. Like I told Labs, if my time is getting short, I'll probably just pick up one already cooked from the store.

Here's the recipe if anyone thinks that would make a difference:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Remoulade Chicken Salad Sandwich

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons yogurt -- 2% Greek-style
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon scallions -- sliced
1 tablespoon parsley -- chopped
1 tablespoon shallots -- sliced
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1/2 lemon -- juiced
1/2 cup red bell pepper -- diced
1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
black pepper -- to taste
1 1/2 baguette
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chicken breasts -- cooked and shredded
1 cup mixed salad greens
1 tomato -- thinly sliced
1/4 cup pecans -- chopped

Preheat broiler with oven rack 6-8 inches from the heating element.

Blend yogurt, mayo, ketchup, scallions, parsley, shallots, Dijon, and lemon juice for the remoulade in a food processor. Stir in bell pepper, dill relish, salt, and pepper.

Prepare baguette "boats" by slicing top third off baguettes and tearing out bread inside. (Set this and top aside for another use.) Cut whole baguette into 4 pieces and the half baguette into 2 pieces. Brush bread with oil; place under broiler to toast; 2-3 minutes.

Combine chicken with remoulade. Divide greens and tomato slices among boats; top with chicken salad and garnish with pecans. Cut each sandwich in half, if desired.

Source:
"C@H Fresh and Fabulous, page 21"
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken Breast Question by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, I may try this...)
I poached a few of chix breasts in some stock the other night. Then diced the chicken for the pot pie and used the enriched stock in the sauce for the pie. It came out great.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chicken Breast Question by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, I may try this...)
I've become a real fan of Ina's method for cooked chicken. I now always have split chicken breasts (on bone with skin) on hand. Liberally salt and pepper and bake on sheet at 350 for about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly then remove skin and debone. Always delicious and much better I think than poaching.

Sorry, I just saw the post above. At least now that's 2 of us who love the method.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Chicken Breast Question by Dismc (I've become a real f...)
I'm thinking I need to get some whole breasts tomorrow and prep this way Monday for the freezer. I have a LOT of favorite recipes where I need cooked chicken. It sure would help to have some on hand. Do you two think this would work if I vacuum sealed the cooked chicken? I'd leave it whole so I could dice or shred as needed after warming. Sure would save time with a lot of dinners.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken Breast Question by Gourmet_Mom (I'm thinking I need ...)
Daphne, I vacuum pack everything! I'm sure you could do the breast meat but I think I'd go ahead and take it off the bone and just have nice flat packets in the freezer ready to go.
Shannon