pumpkin dilemma
  Re: (...)
Suddenly my life has become quite hectic. We are invited to a tailgate party Saturday afernoon and I wanted to bring the "Pumpkin Caramel Bars with bacon" as a dessert. I wrote down the ingredients to pick up at the store and there was a sign on the shelf that should have canned pumpkin that said something about Libby's not being able to get pumpkins or something. I don't have time to make my own puree. Any suggestions for a substitute?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: pumpkin dilemma by chef_Tab (Suddenly my life has...)
Might be able to use baked sweet potato instead, but I'm not really sure about that. It would definately be an experiment.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: pumpkin dilemma by Mare749 (Might be able to use...)
...or baked butternut squash.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Gosh I cannot think of a single substitute that you would not have to cook yourself. Like squash or pumpkin. And I don't even know how to do that.

Maybe Jean (or someone equally clever) will have an idea for you. Who has the brain?!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
I just read that you can use frozen squash from the freezer section of your store. Hmmmm... I guess that could work.

Here is what I found at the Woman's Day site:

Quote:

Use frozen winter squash purée. Need filling for pumpkin pie? Use frozen winter squash purée instead. It’s usually made from butternut squash, has the same consistency as pumpkin and tastes virtually the same.

Try sweet potatoes. These are a great substitute—especially if you’re looking to make pumpkin bread or pumpkin muffins. Poke sweet potatoes with a fork, then microwave them until they’re soft and the skin is shriveled. Take off the skin and beat the potato in a bowl until puréed. If the consistency is too dense, add a little cream to loosen.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: pumpkin dilemma by luvnit (Gosh I cannot think ...)
As long as you don't mind the cooking, the butternut squash is easy. Slice them in half, vertically, bake them, face-down on a baking sheet at 350F for about 40 minutes then scoop out and discard the seeds and scoop out and used the squash.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I have a can I'd hand it over in a heartbeat - if we were closer. Maybe I ought to check the little store in town and pick up a few cans. (I need to run in a pick up some ground buffalo too) I think Labs is right - it would be pretty simple to steam a butternut squash. Usually that's what' really in those cans anyway.

You could also try another store - perhaps a more out of the way, off the beaten track, canned food warehouse??????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: pumpkin dilemma by Harborwitch (I have a can [img]/u...)
thanks everyone. If this had happened 24 hours ago, I wouldn't think twice about cooking a squash. I spent many hours today running around campus filling out forms etc. I got that chicken in the oven, made the batch of spicy peanut butter, a peach galette, cleaned the apartment, did laundry, and shopped. Now working on dinner and am out of steam (nor do I have a squash). Tomorrow is my first full day, maybe I will try Wegmans on the way home, if that doesn't work, I am going with frozen winter squash puree. Phew. I deserve this salty dog don't I?
I sure love you all! You are always there for me. Thanks so much!!

for Pete's sake, I am making mashed jalapeno/honey sweet potatoes for dinner tonight. Maybe I should just take the amount I need from that? The pumpkin bar thingys have bacon on top.....so would a little jalapeno hurt in the cake part? Or is this salty dog too strong?
  Re: Re: pumpkin dilemma by chef_Tab (thanks everyone. If ...)
"Maybe I should just take the amount I need from that? HELLO!
The pumpkin bar thingys have bacon on top.....so would a little jalapeno hurt in the cake part? NO
Or is this salty dog too strong?" HECK NO

Have fun.

But, if this happens again, I really like butternut sq. for a substitute over swt. tatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: pumpkin dilemma by cjs ("Maybe I should just...)
Most of the pumpkins in the US are grown near Peoria, Illinois, in a town called Morton. Might want to get your can of Libby's pumpkin well before the holiday rush!

They've had a terrible season and problems with a fungus.

The culprit, Phytophthora capsici, has become a threat to many crops nationwide. First detected in Illinois in the 1990s, it seriously threatened the production of pie-pumpkin production near Morton and forced pepper growers near Shawneetown to move into other fields. The loss of pumpkin crops would have dealt a serious economic blow to Illinois, the nation’s leading pumpkin-producing state.