Professional Chef Tips
  Re: (...)
Some of these are great ideas for the home cook - interesting article.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/13-c...t-2388185/

Re #6 - why Uncle Wallace's pancakes are so wonderful!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Professional Chef Tips by cjs (Some of these are gr...)
Very nice, Jean. I can't wait to explore the other tips at a later date.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Professional Chef Tips by cjs (Some of these are gr...)
Yikes! I stopped after the first paragraph-the perfect omelet.....

Will read again after I've gotten over that miserable 3 semesters of my life....

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Professional Chef Tips by pjcooks (Yikes! I stopped af...)
Oh PJ, I should have deleted that part!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Professional Chef Tips by cjs (Oh PJ, I should have...)
LOL! I SO missed that when I read her message! It went right over my head....DUH! Poor PJ! Will you ever be able to look at an omelet and smile again?!?!?!?!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Professional Chef Tips by Gourmet_Mom (LOL! I SO missed th...)
Thought they were good suggestions! I've never been an omelet station cook, though.
  Re: Re: Professional Chef Tips by HomeCulinarian (Thought they were go...)
have never made omelets professionally, but have never had any problems with them. As the article said, the key is making sure the pan is hot enough. Never used a rubber scraper, though, since I always toss the omelets using the pan.

Sorry yo hear about the problems, PJ.

Gotta disagree with the tip for bacon: too much of a mess with the paper towels, and some bacon STICKS to the paper towels, besides (or maybe it has something to do with the paper towels, instead of the bacon). Otherwise, except when a recipe specifically calls for bacon to be fried in a frying pan I BAKE (not broil) bacon the way we did in the restaurante: line a backing sheet with parchment, fill the sheet with a single, non-overlapped layer of bacon, bake it at 350F until done. It's perfect every time and, once you've removed the bacon from the pan and allowed it to cool, you can refrigerate the fully cooked, perfectly flat slices in a ZipLoc bag (for home use; in the restaurant, we stored them in pans lined with slices of day-old bread to absorb the oil when they were initially draining). It's perfect for sandwiches and also reheats well for breakfast without your having to handle the raw bacon every day.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Professional Chef Tips by labradors (have never made omel...)
I do my bacon in the microwave when I don't want to save the bacon grease. Quick easy and no cleanup. I take a fairly thick section of the newspaper that does not have colored images and open it flat, then I place a double layer of paper towels on one side, place the bacon rashers side by side to fill, and cover with another layer of paper towels. I cook it for 4 minutes and then flip it and cook it for two to four more minutes depending on the thickness of the bacon (I like mine crisp not bendable). I remove from the microwave carefully and place on clean paper towels and throw the newspapers away. Straight rashers and no mess no fuss. It does not stick, nor is it greasy (I use Bounty towels). The oven method works well, I agree, but it does require I turn on my large oven and that is expensive and heats up the house.
  Re: Re: Professional Chef Tips by Cubangirl (I do my bacon in the...)
Ah. For me, the electricity a microwave would require for the multiple batches necessary to cook a full package of bacon is more expensive than the gas needed to cook off a whole package of bacon in one shot. Back when I was in the States, I loved the microwaved bacon, too, but working in the restaurant changed that for good.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Professional Chef Tips by labradors (Ah. For me, the ele...)
I do my bacon on a sheet pan in the oven - best way I've ever done. I've got to sit and look at all the tips, I just gave a quick once-over.
www.achefsjourney.com