C@H Dinner Menu Review
  Re: (...)
I hope I have the correct Monday... I don't see where I wrote it down and I didn't do a search. Chalk if up to being olderly if it's not today.

[Image: CIMG0896.jpg]

Quck Chicken Marengo - Loved this dish and the flavors were a wonderful combination. The only change I would even think of making would be to garnish with a gremolata (lemon zest, parsley, garlic) - the fresh garlic would be good.

Lemon-Pepper Polenta - very creamy (used 2% milk) and tasty. It stayed creamy and did not set up (I was hoping to set it up and slice it). But no biggie.

Cappuccino Doughnut Bars - Oh My! These are delicious!! I only got to taste one piece, but I savored it. Roy took it to a party one of the days I wasn't feeling good, so I couldn't go. He put it out on the buffet table and it was gone before the hosts could ask people not to eat it until later. It's a great make ahead dessert to take anywhere.

Overall, Roy gave all the dishes 10+++ I'm giving it a 9 1/2 (I'm still comparing all the dinners to the Chicken roulades/caesar salad of 3-4 years ago)

Will someone choose another dinner for us to do now that summer is behind us???? (fingers crossed)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by cjs (I hope I have the co...)
Yes, I'll pick the next one, Jean, and post it in the next day or so.

As for the Quick Chicken Marengo, this was a wonderful surprise. I knew that I was going to like it, just was a bit concerned if Ron would mind the olives in the dish. Was also worried about giving him polenta, as he is not a fan. Both dishes turned out great, and the leftovers the next evening were even better. We will be making this again, it was delicious. We gave it a solid 9.

[Image: September2010002.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by Mare749 (Yes, I'll pick the n...)
You know I forgot to mention one thing - with the smaller portions we have been eating for the last couple of months (by the way, did I mention I've lost 12 lbs.???? ), I ignorantly divided this dish in half, one for last night and the other half for Wednesday, but 1/2 for two was just too darn much. I'm dividing the other half into half again! Probably freeze one. Both of us commented on how much food it made and said was for 4.

What a difference the life-style is making in our eating habits.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by cjs (You know I forgot to...)
Congratulations Jean! It just goes to show that small lifestyle changes can add up to a healthier diet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by Mare749 (Congratulations Jean...)
I think I'd better amend my statement about the recipe feeding 8 to probably realistically - six!

Thanks and I don't feel the least bit deprived...just depraved.

Isn't anyone else eating tonight?? (Maryann, do you think they all have gotten a life?) ooops, wrong thread.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by cjs (I think I'd better a...)
We loved this! I was actually a bit surprised because I wasn't as sure about all of the flavors in combination and John doesn't usually like polenta, but it was terrific. Definitely a 9+ in our house. The only thing I'd do differently is reduce the liquid in the polenta a bit. I tend to like a less liquidly mix.

Very definitely a keeper.

I'm planning on making the Cappuccino Doughnut Bars for my book club in a week or two, so I'll let you know what we thing of them then!
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by karyn (We loved this! I was...)
Sorry I'm late! I'm still getting acquainted with my new lens and didn't get a picture of this one.

I liked the chicken part of this meal, but will not repeat the polenta. It was just too "poofy" and "sweet" for my taste. I may repeat it, leaving out the cream cheese. I did not do the doughnuts bars. There's just the two of us and I just couldn't risk it....LOL!

We gave it an 8 but would probably consider a 9 with changes to the polenta.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by Gourmet_Mom (Sorry I'm late! I'm...)
We really liked this, and there were actually leftovers! I added some sliced zucchini (with the onions) because they're still practically walking out of the garden, and subbed turkey bacon for the proscuitto.

I served it over mashed potatoes, which was perfect because it soaked up that delicious sauce. Polenta would have been nice, but I had white potatoes to use up. Speaking of the polenta, Jean I've always made soft polenta but I prefer the version that I buy at TJ's in rolls which are sliced (the firmer kind, like it seems you wanted).

[Image: QuickChickenMarengo.jpg]

Geez-- the Shutterfly photos were tiny, so I switched to PhotoBucket and now they're humongous!
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by foodfiend (We really liked this...)
foodfiend - In what section at Trader Joe's do you find the polenta in a roll? I don't remember ever seeing it but would like to try it. Is it refrigerated? Thanks!
  Re: Re: C@H Dinner Menu Review by Trixxee (foodfiend - In what ...)
I've tried T.J.s but I do prefer making my own (flavor- & texture-wise). I have a recipe that the proportions are just right for chilling and slicing. Yummy picture, too.
www.achefsjourney.com