Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner?
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu?

I posted in the other thread - we are just grazing the day away!! More pictures, I hope.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
I picked up a couple of nice rib-eyes for the grill, baked sweet potatoes, and a romaine salad.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by Mare749 (I picked up a couple...)
Not a clue. I'm busy making pickled watermelon rind, so it will probably be leftovers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by Lorraine (Not a clue. I'm bus...)
We're headed to Key West tomorrow for a long weekend, so I think I'm just grilling burgers. No leftovers that way.
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by karyn (We're headed to Key ...)
I have a new recipe for veal stew in the crockpot. Hope it's good, veal is a little expensive for stew!
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by HomeCulinarian (I have a new recipe ...)
Veal is WONDERFUL for stew! My mom used to make a veal stew that was out of this world, but that was many years ago.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by labradors (Veal is WONDERFUL fo...)
I was not successful in menu planning this weekend, so I had to come up with a plan on the fly. I wanted to use stuff I had at the house, so I figure I'll grill or fry up some boneless breasts and thighs. We'll have mashers and peas on the side.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (I was not successful...)
Called Mom. Here's the stew recipe.

Veal Stew
Makes 8 servings.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound dried marrow beans
  • 6 cups water
  • 1/2 pound salt pork, thinly sliced
  • 2 pounds boneless veal stew meat
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 T. paprika
  • 1/4 t. crumbled dried thyme
  • 1/2 t. crumbled dried marjoram
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 4 large carrots, sliced
  • 1 green pepper, cut into eighths
  • 4 outer celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 or 2 zucchini sliced
  • 2 large potatoes cut in chunks
  • parsley chopped
Instructions:
  1. Wash beans, add the water and bring to boil.
  2. Boil for 2 minutes.
  3. Let stand for 1 hour.
  4. Fry salt pork for about 5 minutes.
  5. Add veal, onion, and garlic.
  6. Brown lightly.
  7. Stir in paprika, thyme, marjoram,and pepper.
  8. Add to beans and water.
  9. Simmer, covered, for 1 & 1/2 hours, or until beans and meat are almost tender, adding more water if necessary.
  10. Add carrots, green pepper, celery, zucchini & potatoes.
  11. Simmer for 25 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender.
  12. Add salt if desired.
  13. Sprinkle chopped parsley over stew.
Notes:
  • Stew can be made a day or two before. Cool, refrigerate, and reheat at serving time.
  • Green pepper can be omitted or pimiento can be substituted for it.

Neither of us could remember the beans in it, but this is definitely the recipe she used. She thinks she may have used great northern beans, or omitted the beans entirely, since we agreed that we probably would have remembered the larger, marrow beans. Even so, that was not part of the handwritten notes she had made. Either way, it was delicious!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by Lorraine (Not a clue. I'm bus...)
Quote:

Not a clue. I'm busy making pickled watermelon rind, so it will probably be leftovers.

Pickled without the watermelon rind.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Thursday, 9/16 - What's for Dinner? by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanx for the veal stew recipe. I'm not familiar with marrow beans.

The stew I made was from the Not Your Mother's Crock pot cookbook. It has mushrooms and onions, then at the end you add julienned sun dried tomatoes (oil packed) and rosemary. It smells good!