Pear & Almond Crostata
  Re: (...)
Here's the recipe for Brian Boitano's dessert that is just so easy to put together and also to enjoy!

Pear and Almond Crostata
Recipe courtesy Brian Boitano 2009

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
• 2 eggs, divided
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 (7-ounce) packages almond paste
• 2 Bartlett pears
• 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
• 2 tablespoons raw sugar
• 1 pint cherry vanilla ice cream
• 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
• 8 fresh mint sprigs

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, add cream cheese, sugar, flour, 1 egg and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer until well blended and smooth. Set aside.

Divide each package of almond paste into 4 equal portions. On a floured work surface roll each portion into a 6-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick. Put 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese filling into the center of each round. Spread the filling out in an even layer, about 1/2-inch from the edge of the round.

Quarter each pear and remove the core. Cut each quarter into 5 slices. Fan out 5 of the pear slices on top of the filling in the center of 1 of the rounds. Gently fold the edge of the almond paste round over the edge of the filling. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and repeat with the remaining almond rounds, filling and pears.

Whisk together the remaining egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl until well blended. Using a pastry brush lightly brush each crostata with the egg wash and sprinkle each with the raw sugar.

Put the baking sheets into the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.

Serve each crostata on individual plates with a small scoop of ice cream and garnished with sliced almonds and mint.

[Image: CIMG0900.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0901.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by cjs (Here's the recipe fo...)
Thank you for posting this Jean. The flavors were like a kiss from my Grandmother. She made so many pastries with the almond paste - I'd always thought the almond flavoring was in the filling. Now I know better. Thank you Jean!!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by Harborwitch (Thank you for postin...)
You're welcome and will you please get your a$$ up here - we have to have breakfast so we can start cooking for the rest of the day.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by Harborwitch (Thank you for postin...)
A little ot, but if you like almond paste, I fell in love with these cookies. I made a version of 5.7 servings the first time because the old almond paste tube that had been in my pantry for a while was only 7 ounces. I then immediately ordered 10 oz. tins from Amazon so I could make full batches. The orange blossom water was part of my adaptation.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

ALMOND CLOUD COOKIES***** Servings: 8 Yield: 21 cookies

Chewy-crisp and intensely almond-y, these are still great even without the sprinkling of confectioners sugar..even when slightly overbaked.

Oven Temperature: 325°F

10 oz. almond paste
1/4 tsp. orange blossom water
1 cup sugar 7 ounces
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten (I always use x-large eggs)
1/4 tsp. almond emulsion or extract (I used KAF almond emulsion)
1/4 tsp. princess cake flavor or extra-strong bitter almond oil, lemon or orange oil, optional* (I used the KAF princess cake flavor)
Confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar, for topping

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

If the almond paste is hard, use clean fingers to crumble into bowl. If it still looks dry, you can add ¼ tsp. of orange blossom water. Blend the almond paste and sugar until the mixture forms fine crumbs; this is best done in a stand mixer.

Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.

Stir in the flavorings.

Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared pans.

Sprinkle the cookies heavily with confectioners' sugar, then use three fingers to press an indentation into the center of each cookie.

Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're brown around the edges. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.

Prep.: 35 mins. Cooking: 25 mins. Inactive: 30 mins. Total: 1 hour and 30 mins.

Adapted from kingarthurflour.com recipe.
Web Page: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/a...ies-recipe

Recipe Type: Almonds, Cookies, Desserts

PS from the site: To make Chocolate-Almond Cloud Cookies, add 1 cup chocolate chips to the dough right after you've added the egg whites. Will make. 28 cookies. To make Italian pignoli cookies? Using about 2/3 cup (3½ oz.) pine nuts (pignoli), dip the tops of unbaked cookies in the nuts. Flatten them gently on the baking sheet, and bake as directed.
  Re: Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by Cubangirl (A little ot, but if ...)
Thanks, Jean, I have lots of almonds paste, and we do desserts for 70 this Tuesday. All the farmers grow pears around here.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean, I have...)
How convenient, Lorraine! This sounds perfect!

I think I may have to give this a try, Jean. It sounds like something William will love.

Thanks, Cubangirl, I love the two variations, especially.

I so rarely do desserts, but I'm sure I'll think of some occasion to try both of these!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by Gourmet_Mom (How convenient, Lorr...)
Yummy! (Woops, a little too RR there)

These do look good, though!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by pjcooks (Yummy! (Woops, a li...)
Wow!! That's a keeper!! Thanks a bunch on my rear!! Tongue

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by cjs (Here's the recipe fo...)
Quote:

Here's the recipe for Brian Boitano's dessert that is just so easy to put together and also to enjoy!

Pear and Almond Crostata
Recipe courtesy Brian Boitano 2009

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
• 2 eggs, divided
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 (7-ounce) packages almond paste
• 2 Bartlett pears
• 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
• 2 tablespoons raw sugar
• 1 pint cherry vanilla ice cream
• 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
• 8 fresh mint sprigs

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, add cream cheese, sugar, flour, 1 egg and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer until well blended and smooth. Set aside.

Divide each package of almond paste into 4 equal portions. On a floured work surface roll each portion into a 6-inch round, about 1/8-inch thick. Put 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese filling into the center of each round. Spread the filling out in an even layer, about 1/2-inch from the edge of the round.

Quarter each pear and remove the core. Cut each quarter into 5 slices. Fan out 5 of the pear slices on top of the filling in the center of 1 of the rounds. Gently fold the edge of the almond paste round over the edge of the filling. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and repeat with the remaining almond rounds, filling and pears.

Whisk together the remaining egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl until well blended. Using a pastry brush lightly brush each crostata with the egg wash and sprinkle each with the raw sugar.

Put the baking sheets into the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.

Serve each crostata on individual plates with a small scoop of ice cream and garnished with sliced almonds and mint.

Jean,

I had this marked and was reading through the recipe when I noticed it said, "Quarter each pear". Shouldn't that read "halve" so you use both pears for the 4 crostatas?

I'm making these this weekend. Just picked up the almond paste.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pear & Almond Crostata by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
No, you're making 8 - 2pkgs. of the almond paste -
"Divide each package of almond paste into 4 equal portions."

darn, I'd love to make these again!!! Thanks for bringing it up.
www.achefsjourney.com