SNAP Hunger Challenge
  Re: (...)
We are thinking about giving this a go. Feed yourself (and family members) at $4.50 per person per day. You can't count your pantry items as "free". The challenge is next week, and I don't feel ready for that because we just learned about this today. But in a future week, we will give it a go.

This will take some serious menu planning to pull off. Any one else game?

SNAP Hunger Challenge
  Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by HomeCulinarian (We are thinking abou...)
Have to disqualify myself on this one, due to the different economy here. $4.50 goes much farther, here. In a real pinch, with some sacrifices, it can even be made to last a week. (The voice of experience.)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by labradors (Have to disqualify m...)
Labs - sounds like you could recommend some menus! We're thinking beans and rice are going to be on it!
  Re: Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by HomeCulinarian (Labs - sounds like y...)
Hmmmm, may have to challenge myself with this one. Will read more about this tomorrow and see.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by cjs (Hmmmm, may have to c...)
It could be interesting, but I'm betting the truffle salt, truffle oil, and truffle butter will be off the list. Shoot. Have to check it out too. Of course going to more "party" food events we just might have to put this off a few days. Lordy are we spoiled!!!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by Harborwitch (It could be interest...)
I got a similar letter from our food bank this week. Have to admit it made me wonder if we could actually do it. Like you said, it would take a great deal of planning.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by HomeCulinarian (We are thinking abou...)
I admire all of you who are going to give this a go. I could definately feed myself on $4 a day, veggies and pasta are fine with me. Where is the wine budget

Couldn't even attempt with Picky.

Good luck, everyone! Interested in seeing the results.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by Mare749 (I got a similar lett...)
Quote:

Labs - sounds like you could recommend some menus! We're thinking beans and rice are going to be on it!

Well, don't forget that $4.50 goes a lot further here, but rice and beans can certainly help quite a bit. Tortillas also come to mind, as do Baleadas and Pastelitos.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I wish I could participate since "snap" is part of the study I am working on. I am so overwhelmed with the adjustment of working full time again. I did manage to cook dinner every night so far, and my lunches are the envy of everyone. My "boss" is actually a graduate of Johnson and Wales and married to the head chef at a huge restaurant here. Even she is impressed with my "concoctions" and suggested I work for her husband. But the reality is, I am fading quickly and since this full time job is temporary, I am continueing with the weekend job at the winery. So meal planning on such an extreme budget may not be in the cards at the moment. Though, my guess is, alchohol excluded, I am not too far off most weeks.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: SNAP Hunger Challenge by chef_Tab (I wish I could parti...)
Bless your heart, Theresa! I can really relate. I'm not back onto school mode yet, so I can relate. (To be honest, I am so ready for retirement, I am having a LOT of trouble getting into the school mode.)

ANYWAY, I have to concur with Theresa. I would LOVE to participate, but it would require my inventorying my freezer and pantry, which are full right now, and I just don't have the time or energy right now.

But I think this is a worthwhile project, and I will be sharing it with others. So thanks for sharing, Jeanette.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.