need recipe from issue 70
  Re: (...)
I feel so awful asking for this. My past issues are in storage and I am really craving that Bulgogi recipe in issue 70. I have made it a few times, so the ingredients abreviated would probably suffice. I found some lovely ribeyes on sale at Sams Club and would like to make this Saturday night if possible. Thanks in advance.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: need recipe from issue 70 by chef_Tab (I feel so awful aski...)
Sit tight, I'll type it into Mastercook, then post it on here for you.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: need recipe from issue 70 by Mare749 (Sit tight, I'll type...)
Okay, here you go. I'm glad you brought this up. Haven't made it in a while and we liked it too!

* Exported from MasterCook *

KOREAN-STYLE BULGOGI with Ginger Dipping Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger -- minced
1 Tablespoon garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons sambal
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Season and grill; Garnish with:
3/4 pound ribeye steak -- cut into 1/4"-thick strips
salt and pepper
sliced scallions
toasted sesame seeds

Preheat grill to high. Simmer sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and sambal together together in a small saucepan over high heat.

Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl, then whisk into the sauce. Return mixture to a boil and simmer 1 minute, remove from heat and set aside.

Season ribeye strips with salt and pepper; grill 2 minutes per side, then toss in 2 T. dipping sauce. Arrange strips on 2 plates and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.

Serve with vermicelli, vegetables, and remaining sauce on the side.

SESAME RICE VERMICELLI
Makes 2 cups

4 oz. dry rice vermicelli
2 T. scallions, thinly sliced
1 T. toasted sesame oil
1 T. sesame seeds, toasted

Prepare vermicelli according to package instructions and cool. Toss with remaining ingredients.

SPICY PICKLED VEGETABLES
Makes 2 cups

2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 t. sugar
1 t. sambal
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/3 cup each: carrot and daikon, peeled, sliced into matchsticks
1/3 cup cucumber, seeded, thinly sliced into half-moons

Whisk vinegar, lime juice, sugar, sambal, and salt together in a bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Pour marinade over vegetables in a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate 1 hour. Drain vegetables in a colander before serving.

Source:
"Cuisine@Home Magazine, issue #70, page 15"
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: need recipe from issue 70 by Mare749 (Okay, here you go. ...)
But....but...mine is soooo much better!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Korean Grilled Beef

Recipe By :Holly Young
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1 pinch salt
2 1/2 lbs. sirloin steak -- sliced 1/8" thick
4 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
6 Tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
generous grinding of black pepper

In a small heavy skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat until they begin to brown and have a toasted aroma. Combine other ingredients and add sesame seeds. Marinade overnight. Remove from marinade and grill meat. Discard marinade. Serves 6

Description:
"This dish is a family favorite and can be done with cheap cuts of meat as well as expensive cuts."

NOTES : Many years ago, a good friend served this dish to my family and I begged for the recipe.

Any cut of meat will do. Obviously, the better cut of meat, the more tender the final product.

If you want to save time, you can use a grill basket to cook this. This saves the meat from overcooking. If you cook it this way, leave on the grill for 3-4 minutes per side. If you place the meat directly on the grill, begin turning the first pieces of meat as soon as you put the last piece on. Then begin removing as soon as the last piece is flipped. This is for medium rare on a medium grill.

I have also done this with a whole flank steak with good results. It's not quite as flavorful as marinating the strips, but it sure is easier to grill.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: need recipe from issue 70 by Gourmet_Mom (But....but...mine is...)
Quote:

But....but...mine is soooo much better!

...and mine is the one that brought me compliments from native South Koreans!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: need recipe from issue 70 by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thank you Maryann!!

And Rob and Daphne! but so sorry, I love the C@H version sooooo much I don't want to mess with it. Maybe another time when I feel adventurous, but for now I need something familiar.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: need recipe from issue 70 by chef_Tab (Thank you Maryann!![...)
O.K., you guys, sounds like a cook-off is in the air....

Theresa, that does sound good, can't remember (is it your day? ) if I've made this before. (I'm on Roy's computer - away from my magazines and MasterCook - my computer wouldn't work this a.m. MY NEW LAPTOP!!!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: need recipe from issue 70 by cjs (O.K., you guys, soun...)
Good grief, Jean. That thing is not more than a month or so old, is it?

Regarding the cook off, I was mostly teasing, since I haven't tried either of the other recipes...LOL! Wait, I may have tried Lab's. Maybe I'll try all three sometime and see.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: need recipe from issue 70 by Gourmet_Mom (Good grief, Jean. T...)
It's one of those things where each of us has tried something different but, in each case, we liked what we had SO much that we're hesitant to try the others.

In my case, when that Korean couple said how authentic it tasted and how it reminded them of home, I figured that any big differences in other recipes would change the flavour enough that it would not longer taste the same as what had impressed the "natives," no matter what I would think of the differences.

One of these days, though, it WOULD be interesting to try all three, side by side.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?