Visiting the Family
  Re: (...)
We got to Auburn yesterday afternoon and had a great afternoon and evening at my Nephew Jeff and his wife Kim's house. It's kinda crazy - they bought my Mom's house, soooo many memories.

Kim fixed a great dinner last night - tacos and all the fixings. It was light and simple which was welcome after all the splurges. My brother & SIL came over and we spent a lovely evening laughing and visiting.

More later.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Visiting the Family by Harborwitch (We got to Auburn yes...)
Sounds like you did have a great time!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by cjs (Sounds like you did ...)
Where is Auburn? (so we can follow your travels )
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by Mare749 (Where is Auburn? (s...)
I agree, I'll have to get a map going and track you guys!

I'm glad you had a nice evening with family. I bet it did seem odd to be a guest at the home you grew up in!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by Gourmet_Mom (I agree, I'll have t...)
Auburn used to be a "little" town south of Seattle Wa. It's grown so much I'd never find my way around.

It is strange. I'm not sure how my brother feels . . . but in many ways it's much more welcoming now. (sorry Mom)

Kim said they have all of my Mom's cookbooks and recipe files which I was afraid were gone. She and I talked about a "retirement project" for me - to gather stories and old pictures, when we can, to go with the recipes and put them together in a family cookbook. It will be a lot of fun, and I think will get the whole family together for a lot of fun get togethers making and eating all that food.

Kim was reminiscing about Mom in her last days talking about my brother's favorite "tomato aspic". He and I both looked at each other and said "not MY favorite". (funny now I'd like to try my hand at it and have ideas to make it better, but will have to start with hers).

I have to say that it is so wonderful to see another avid cook in Mom's kitchen. I'm going to have a ball with her - we love a lot of the same things.
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by Harborwitch (Auburn used to be a ...)
Sounds like a wonderful journey Sharon!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by luvnit (Sounds like a wonder...)
yes, it sure does.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by cjs (yes, it sure does....)
Thanks Sharon, like Daphne, I want to follow your travels, so keep us posted! Have a wonderful time visiting family and friends.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by Mare749 (Thanks Sharon, like ...)
We are on our way south now. We had a nice morning visit with Kim and little Presley. The we watched the State Police and Auburn police stage in front of Kim's house - there was a stolen car parked across the street. My nephew is a State Police office and spotted the car. That caused a bit of a delay. No one would answer the door so they just got the owner to come pick it up.

Nothing like a little excitement to start the day!
  Re: Re: Visiting the Family by Harborwitch (We are on our way so...)
Oh, what a great project! Rewarding for everyone involved!

I've got you tracked. Keep us posted.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.