Speaking of pressure cookers......
  Re: (...)
Does anyone use one anymore? I can remember my mom using one when I was a kid, then it seemed to go out of fashion, so I never learned how to use it. Only have some vague memories of a veal stew....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Mare749 (Does anyone use one ...)
My Mother used it alot. Personally, I've always been afraid of them, although they supposedly have good safety valves on them now.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Mare749 (Does anyone use one ...)
I've known of some very scary experiences using those things. I know the newer models are probably REALLY safe, but they still scare me. One of these days, though.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Gourmet_Mom (I've known of some v...)
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Also have a vague memory of tomato sauce all over the ceiling.
Maryann

Re: Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Mare749 (Yeah, that's what I'...)
The latest one was beef stew...ten foot ceiling. OIY! Luckily, I wasn't present for that one, but William witnessed it. The cook had beef stew hanging from his glasses. Lucky he didn't get burned. They had to hire professional cleaners because of the high ceiling. It was a mess!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Gourmet_Mom (The latest one was b...)
I had a wonderful old presto pressure cooker like my Mom and MIL had. Bob's Mom was afraid of it so she tossed the gasket and the pressure thingy. GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr.

We bought a really nice one a few years ago - two different sized pots, steamer inserts, and all kinds of accessories. I brought the small pot & lid with us (the rest is in storage). We love it - but YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE POT, you can't just yank the lid off, and you have to follow directions. I've never had a mishap - although I have been known to cool a pan down with cold water without mishap. gotta be cautious. Time for bed - I'm asleep while typint;
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Harborwitch (I had a wonderful ol...)
I still have mine - I used it a lot when I was personal cheffing, great for that. I haven't used it since we got up here, not sure where it's packed.

I run across a few recipes I used to make using it and I think I'll go in search of it, but haven't yet. I, too, was scared to death of them when my mother used hers and as a working mom, she used hers a lot. But, I got over that - it's a great utensil. I guess I just don't have the need for 'fast' anymore...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by cjs (I still have mine - ...)
Mom used hers a lot too, as a working mom she really needed the "fast". My big issue, even as a kid, was that she'd cook that ol' stewing hen in the pressure cooker for hours - it was either one of two nasty over cooked colors and had all the texture of . . . okay it had no texture.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Harborwitch (Mom used hers a lot ...)
So, what kind of recipes do you use in the pressure cooker? I'm just curious about it. My dad said there is another one in the basement, so I might want to play with it once just for fun.
Maryann

Re: Re: Speaking of pressure cookers...... by Harborwitch (Mom used hers a lot ...)
Completely different experience here. My mom (almost 90) who is a great cook, now cooks almost exclusively using her pressure cooker, microwave and large convection toaster oven. Her oven which is very old now, looks new and is used for storage space. The stove top (black glass) looks new as well and get used maybe once a month. She has converted almost every stove top or oven braised recipe to the pressure cooker. As a result, I don't really know how to make black beans, Cuban Pot Roast, Cuban Beef stew, Cuban flan on the stove top or oven. Her food turns out fantastic using an old style no frills Presto 6 quart cooker. I have her old Mirro and Presto ones and can also make those things fairly well (though I like hers better). She even makes Cuban Pork (lechon asado) in the pressure cooker using pork loin and makes it taste real (works great for Cuban Sandwiches in a third of the time.) Her flan is beautiful and there is no need to pour water in the oven.
I make great German Potato Salad, chicken cacciatore as well as all the Cuban dishes in mine with great results. I also make very good quick chicken and beef stock which even though it has not simmered for hours, is still much better than store bought.
I've never had a mishap of any kind and have used one since I first learn how to cook as a little girl.
Here are some things I do automatically which may be why I've never had problems. I make sure the cooker is super clean (Barkeepers Friend is indeed my friend for all SS). I take out the gasket and wash it separately, dry it well and put is in the freezer if it starts to stretch. I check for nicks and once it has a few small or one large one, replace it (I always buy 2 at once). I rub the gasket with saffola oil on a paper towel and wipe it again, especially if I've put the gasket in the freezer (dry it well first). I make sure the air safety vent moves up and down freely before I get the cooker hot. I wash the pressure knob well and make sure it does not gave any grease and run a toothpick through the air tube to make sure it is clear. The above all take less than 2 minutes to accomplish.
I always pre-heat the cooker, then add the oil and then sear my meat and/or aromatics, then add the rest of the ingredients and the necessary liquids. I turn up the heat (my stove is electric), close the cooker and put the pressure valve on. Wait until it wobbles rapidly and releases steam if jiggled and lower the temp to cook for the required time. Most recipes will tell you if you can let the pressure come down naturally. If it needs to be released immediately to open the cooker, I put it in my sink (why I specifically got a cast iron one) and run cold water over it. I run the water on one side of the cooker, turn the water off, move the spigot and run it on the other side. The pressure valve is still on and I am careful not to get water on it or the steam release vent. After a couple of minutes, I jiggle the valve. Usually a little steam will hiss and I keep jiggling it until there is no hiss. I then carefully pull the valve up a little and if it releases easily take it out all the way. Then I take it out of the sink, put it on the counter and open it carefully. Like any lidded pan, it will release heat, so I am careful not to stick my face on top unless I am due for a facial.
I then check the food, add additional items if needed or return to pressure if the food has not cooked enough. It is better to undercook and have to cook it again than overcook. Most of the time it is perfect. If you need to reheat, just close the lid and don't put the pressure valve on. It will act like a regular heavy pot.
I apologize if I over explained, leftover occupational hazzard (I used to teach at the Univ. and train folks at work). BTW, I love risotto, but never had the patience to make it at home. It comes out perfect in the pressure cooker with minimal effort.