looking for suggestions for an easy side
  Re: (...)
Next weekend is a surprise birthday party for my inlaws. The hostess is grilling some sort of skirt steak for the meat. Two SILs (me included) are to make side dishes. I have already decided on cheesy potatoes. The other SIL plans to make a green salad and some rice dish. Here are my rules to follow:

1. I would like it to be a vegetable

2. must travel for 5 hours in the car

3. must be quick and easy to make

4. be served at room temp, or easily reheated

At the moment, I am thinking of making creamed spinach but welcome any other ideas! I should add that the headcount is 13, hope that isn't unlucky.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by chef_Tab (Next weekend is a su...)
Theresa, right off the bat, I'm thinking the infamous broccoli salad, which is served cold or broccoli and cheese, which is easy to reheat in the microwave. Beyond that, I'll think about it and let you know.

Oh, and there's the Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole recipe or a Cooking Light Cheesy Squash Casserole that my family loves because it's so much like the one William's grandmother used to make, only lighter. But better than all of that is to ditch your potato recipe and knock their socks off with Jean's Roasted Butternut Squash Penne al Burro! OIY...so good!!!!

Oh, it's another starch, but PW Corn Casserole is AWESOME!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, right off t...)
I'd suggest the orzo grilled vege salad - great at room temp. I'll be back in a minute to post it.
Grilled Vegetable Salad with Orzo

Ingredients:
PAM spray
1 pound Asparagus, trimmed
3 bell peppers, (a variety of colors)
1 medium red onion, sliced thickly
1 medium zucchini
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup orzo (about 8 oz)
1 T Olive Oil
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Dressing:
3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
About 1 cup of fresh herbs – Basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more or less to taste

Instructions
· Cut vegetables except tomatoes, into large pieces for grilling. Spray with PAM, and grill until tender. Vegetables will take different times to cook. Place grilled vegetables on a platter to cool until you are able to handle them. Cut vegetables in bite size pieces and put in a large bowl. Add tomatoes.
· Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan, add orzo and sauté until brown. Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed. Add orzo to roasted vegetables.
· Make dressing. In a small food processor, mince garlic first, then add fresh herbs and process until minced. Add extra virgin olive oil while processor is running until it is the consistency of pesto. Add salt and pepper and mix well. (You could substitute premade pesto.)
· Mix dressing together with orzo/vegetable mixture until evenly incorporated. Spread in a 9 x 13 baking dish and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and feta. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350%.
· Serve hot or at room temperature. Better made a day ahead.
· Serves 8.
  Re: Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by HomeCulinarian (I'd suggest the orzo...)
I LOVE the broccoli salad, but we also really like the Grilled Fresh Corn in Spicy Lime Dressing from issue 69. I usually make it ahead so that we can eat it after a day on the lake, so I know it holds well.

If you want more of a pasta-y side, we also love the Orzo with Everything recipe on Epicurious. I've modified it by using feta instead of parmesan, and increasing all of the other stuff...olives, radiccio, sundried tomatoes, basil, etc. as I see fit, but it is a wonderful salad and I always get requests for the recipe.
  Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by chef_Tab (Next weekend is a su...)
I haven't made this in so long but it's a great buffet dish and travels really well.

Marinated Veggie salad

1 Bottle of your favorite Italian Dressing or more depending on the amount of veggies.

Artichoke hearts
Olives
Radishes
Onions, scallions, etc.
Fresh asparagus
Fresh zucchini, carrots, broccoli, etc.
Cherry tomatoes
Any other fresh veggies available
Fresh herbs if available

Cut everything into the same size (bite size) pieces and combine with the Italian dressing and chopped herbs. Allow to marinate for at least an hour.

A bachelor gave me this salad "recipe" many years ago and it's always a big hit. I need to make it again. I think there are going to be lots of get togethers here.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by Harborwitch (I haven't made this ...)
Vicci, I have two suggestions for you - this first one is my #1 suggestion because in addition to wonderful flavors, you can either make it in one large caserole or make individual portions (in muffin tins); and it is as good at room temp. as it is hot. AND, it goes with any kind of a meat entree. This was a catering favorite.

Onion Gratin

4 cups onions -- sliced (3 large white)
5 T. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425°

Sauté the onions over medium-low heat until transparent, about 25-30 minutes and place in a buttered 1 1/2-qt. au gratin dish or flat casserole.

Beat eggs until light; add sour cream and salt & pepper and combine; pour over onions and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top begins to brown. Serves 8

----
This second one is a pasta salad if you're interested in going in that direction - travels well and room temp is perfect for it. Will go with any entree.

This salad was a favorite during my catering days - if necessary just omit the salami.

ANTIPASTO TORTELLINI SALAD

Recipe By: a Chef's Journey, Jan. 1999
Serving Size : 8

1 16 oz. package cheese tortellini -- fresh or frozen
4 ounces Salami -- chopped, ~1 cup
4 ounces provolone cheese -- cut into 2X1/4X1/4" strips
1 11 oz. can whole kernel corn
1 9 oz. package frozen spinach -- thawed, squeezed to drain
1 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke heart -- drained, chopped
1 6 oz. can ripe olives -- pitted, drained, sliced (~1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 ounces Parmesan cheese -- grated (must admint I don't think I've ever stopped at 2 oz.... )
2 oz. jar diced pimientos -- drained

Cook tortellini to desired doneness. Drain; rinse w/cold water.

In a very large bowl, combine tortellini with salami, provolone, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts & 1 cup of the olives.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, Dijon & 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well.
Pour dressing over salad; toss gently.

Top w/remaining olives and Parmesan cheese.
Cover; refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors.
Just before serving, garnish w/pimientos

Alternate: Just mix all the salad ingredients together mix with dressing mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan to serve.

Yield:
"3 quarts"
Serving Ideas : This is a wonderful buffet dish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by cjs (Vicci, I have two su...)
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! Now to decide.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by karyn (I LOVE the broccoli ...)
Quote:

If you want more of a pasta-y side, we also love the Orzo with Everything recipe on Epicurious.

I remember this recipe from years ago! I don't think my son was even born yet and he's 11 now. It is really good. I think the sundried tomatoes are my favorite part.
  Re: Re: looking for suggestions for an easy side by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Simple, reliable and colourful: Medley of steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and snow pea pods.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
How about this:

Saffron Takes Rice from Plain to Exquisite

White rice is nice but yellow saffron rice is stunning. Next time you are going to serve rice as a side dish why not make it special with this recipe for carrot and pea studded Saffron Rice Pilaf?

Saffron Takes Rice from Plain to Exquisite

by Sandra Bowens

A recent survey of this website's readers revealed that nearly half of the 67 respondents occasionally splurged on a bit of saffron while 23 others had never even seen this glorious spice.

The beautiful deep orange "threads" are the handpicked stamens of saffron crocus flowers. Saffron is the most expensive spice but you need not use more than a pinch to add flavor and color to your cooking.

The flavor is subtle, somewhat floral and earthy. Use it to enhance fish, rice or tomato dishes. The gem-quality color makes an attractive broth or festive grains.

The following recipe for rice pilaf is a stunning addition to the dinner table thanks to the yellow rice dotted with bits of carrot orange and pea green. It is a terrific accompaniment to just about any grilled meat or fish.

Saffron Rice Pilaf

1 teaspoon butter

2 teaspoons olive oil

3/4 cup minced onion

1/2 cup diced carrots

1 cup long grain rice

2 cups hot chicken stock

1 good pinch saffron threads

1 bay leaf

1/4 cup petite peas, thawed if frozen

Chopped parsley, for garnish, if desired

In a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Stir in the rice; cook and stir for another five minutes. Now pour in the hot chicken stock and add the saffron. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat enough to maintain a bare simmer. Drop in the bay leaf and add the peas. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 20 minutes without lifting the lid.

After 20 minutes check to make sure all the liquid has been absorbed. If it has not, continue cooking for about 5 more minutes. When all the liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and allow to sit, with the lid still on, for another 5 minutes. Fluff rice pilaf with a fork and transfer to a warmed serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if using, and serve right away.

Yield: 6 servings
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.