Savoury Biscotti
  Re: (...)
Does anyone make any, and if so, do you have a favourite? I made two today, thinking they would be a good addition to the cheese table. One was Parmesan black pepper, the other Cheddar Mustard Seed. The first is wonderful, the second needs a better quality cheddar.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Savoury Biscotti by Lorraine (Does anyone make any...)
Have only made almond, but those savory ones really sound good. I imagine that garlic, basil and sun-dried tomatoes would be a good combination and that cayenne and/or cumin would have some potential, as well.

Sounds like it's time to experiment!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by labradors (Have only made almon...)
I have only made a sweet one, also. And that was a disaster! The garlic, basil, and sun-dried tomatoes sounds good. I was also thinking a take on Basil Pesto might be good. Then I got to thinking about blue cheese and flavors that compliment it:

bacon
honey and nuts
figs
rosemary
cherries
dates
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by Gourmet_Mom (I have only made a s...)
Lorraine, I have an old one from Gourmet that I've made a few times for parties.

Parmesan Black-Pepper Biscotti Gourmet | December 2006

These savory biscotti are ideal for a soiree. Their crisp texture is accented by the richness of parmesan and the bite of black pepper — perfect for nibbling in between sips of wine. Yield: Makes 5 to 6 dozen biscotti

1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (2 1/4 cups)
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk

Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.

Pulse peppercorns in grinder until coarsely ground.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, 2 cups cheese, and 1 tablespoon ground black pepper in a large bowl. Blend in butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk 3 eggs with milk and add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quarter dough. Using well-floured hands, form each piece into a slightly flattened 12-inch-long log (about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inch high). Transfer logs to 2 ungreased large baking sheets, arranging logs about 3 inches apart.

Whisk remaining egg and brush some over logs, then sprinkle tops of logs evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper. Bake, rotating sheets 180 degrees and switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until logs are pale golden and firm, about 30 minutes total. Cool logs to warm on sheets on a rack, about 10 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.

Carefully transfer 1 warm log to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices with a serrated knife. Arrange slices, cut sides down, in 1 layer on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining logs, transferring slices to sheets. Bake, turning over once, until golden and crisp, 35 to 45 minutes total. Cool biscotti on baking sheets on racks, about 15 minutes.

I think I tried some other cheese, but can't remember what....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by cjs (Lorraine, I have an ...)
Daphne, the bleu cheese sounds like a great idea for the biscoti. I'm not the biggest fan of bleu cheese, but it makes a lot of sense for something like the biscoti.
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by Gourmet_Mom (I have only made a s...)
Hmmmmmm - it's too freakin' hot for baking but geeze there are some interesting ideas. I can't wait for fall.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by Harborwitch (Hmmmmmm - it's too f...)
Thanks for the ideas. Jean, that's the exactly recipe I made, other than it called for making it in the Kitchenaid. Labs, there was cayenne in the cheddar ones, but I wasn't crazy about them. I think Gruyere and fresh thyme will be next.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by Lorraine (Thanks for the ideas...)
Got to make this again...glad they worked for you, Lorraine!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by cjs (Got to make this aga...)
Lorraine, I'm not sure what I'd think about the cayenne with the cheddar (within biscoti, anyway), either, but had been thinking of the cayenne without any cheese, by itself or with cumin. Definitely some room for experimentation.
  Re: Re: Savoury Biscotti by labradors (Lorraine, I'm not su...)
cayenne + cheddar = good flavors, to me!
www.achefsjourney.com