Misc Issue 80 (April) reviews
  Re: (...)
It’s been a (mostly) CAH recipe day, today.

I hope to be back on the Boards more regularly now that vacation is over, the new dock at the lake house has been installed, and our weekend guests have departed.

It was a great weekend! Thanks again to Jean who typed up the recipe for the apple-tinis which I made last night, they were a big hit. I just have to figure out a way to make a pitcher-full of them.

I made apple-walnut pancakes and apple turkey sausage for breakfast on Saturday, we had Italian vegetable hoagies (Eating Well), a cabbage-veggie slaw (Weight Watchers), and homemade baklava, linzer bars and chocolate chip cookies for lunch (note how the main part of the meal was “light” and the dessert decidedly was not!); for dinner, penne pasta with butternut squash, spinach, turkey bacon, and smoked Gouda, just-baked bread, and a pear-almond galette with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Today I planned to make Benedict Baskets from April’s CAH (#80). I had everything ready, but I didn’t read the recipe carefully enough before leaving home and realized at the very last minute that I didn’t have the jumbo muffin cups that were called for. Being here at the lake house I don’t have a lot of equipment, so I was at a loss as how to make the baskets until I just decided to line a 9”x12” baking pan with the rolled English muffins, then proceed with the recipe as directed. It turned out pretty well, but next time I will drain the veggie/ham mixture more (the muffins became a bit soggy). I added sliced turkey ham to the mix, and didn’t use the hollandaise. Everyone really liked it, so I will do it again with the changes.

For lunch, I made the Albondaigas Soup. I had prepared and frozen the Mini-Bacon Meatballs (using turkey bacon and ground turkey) last week, but I didn’t think that there were enough so I added a poached chicken breast (shredded) to the soup. I didn’t use mushrooms and subbed sliced zucchini, used (thawed) frozen roasted corn from TJ’s, and subbed chicken broth for the beef. This is an awesome soup! I made the recipe Jean posted a few months back for Burr’s Red Chili Cornbread and my guests loved it. Toasted Almond Brownies (with leftover cookies) were dessert.

My guests departed, well-fed and happy.

The weather certainly cooperated, even though for yesterday it was forecast not to. It was hot and sunny for the dock installation on Thursday, and because my guests were providing some of the food, DH and I were able to get out for a boat ride and swim on Friday afternoon (it was the first 90-degree day, for that date, since 1881!). After dinner we sat outside and listened to the tree frogs as our guests arrived later in the evening. Saturday was in the upper 70’s and sunny so we took lunch on the boat and, at the end of the evening, sat on the (docked) boat for a nightcap of Ron Zacapa rum before retiring (it was midnight and warm and balmy, like July!). Today was cloudy and cool, and after breakfast we went for a long hike then came back to a nice, warming soup. I love it when everything turns out well!

And I realize that I promised vacation photos and am working on them (especially the pics of the food!). Hopefully I’ll have a link this week.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Misc Issue 80 (April) reviews by foodfiend (It’s been a (mostly)...)
Well, looks like all aspects of life were covered on your vacation, Vicci!! Friends, food, projects, fun.......

I haven't made much from #80, so glad to have some notes to add to the recipes for later. Thanks.

Just had to add, looking at the issue - those little waffle muffins sure sound good. I'd forgotten some of the dishes from this issue were part of Bill's b'day dinner in March. The Greek salsad, I really loved the ingredients, but not so much the dressing. And, the Greek Scampi was good also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Misc Issue 80 (April) reviews by cjs (Well, looks like all...)
Sounds like a great time was had by all! It IS great when things turn out right!

BTW, Vicci, am I to understand that you allowed you guests to bring Friday's dinner? I'm proud of you! You've made such progress!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Misc Issue 80 (April) reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like a great ...)
Daphne, I've made progress but not that much! One couple arrived Friday after dinner (around 8) and the other arrived at 9 the next morning,for breakfast.

I "assigned" Millie the dessert for Saturday's lunch and side salad for dinner that evening; Carolyn made fruit salad for breakfast both days and a side for Saturday lunch. And I absolutely noticed the difference, because those contributions to the meals were probably why I was able to spend a few hours out on the lake on Friday afternoon!

Add to that, every time I turned around one or the other were washing dishes, drying dishes, wiping the counters, offering to chop... now I miss them!

The guys helped Jack get a steel pole out that had been stuck in mud at the end of the dock, moved a boat lift into a new position, and figured out a new way to run some lines to the boat that are much more effective.

In addition to their "culinary assignments" (as one called it), they also brought bottles of wine, chocolate truffles, and snacks.

Oh, can I go on and "brag" and mention that the guest rooms and bathroom were all left in perfect condition?

I wonder what they're all doing next weekend...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Misc Issue 80 (April) reviews by foodfiend (Daphne, I've made pr...)
Well done, Vicci! I think these couples need a repeat invite, for sure!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Misc Issue 80 (April) reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Well done, Vicci! I...)
Nice houseguests!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com