Hurray! I can get quinoa!
  Re: (...)
Of course, I still don't know if I'm going to like it, so it won't be an inexpensive experiment, but that fancy meat market has started carrying quinoa from Bob's Red MIll. A 26-ounce packet costs $13.75 which, from what I see on the web, is higher than average, but not unheard of (e.g. one Internet listing had it for $14.25).

I have just gone back and looked up quinoa recipes that you all have posted here, and two or three of them did catch my interest. Do you have any more that would be good for someone just starting quinoa?

Hmmm... Given the similarities of names, I wonder if they would ever advertise quinoa with ShamWow. Also, has anyone noticed that, phonetically, Joaquin Phoenix is just quinoa with the syllables reversed? LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by labradors (Of course, I still d...)
Yea Rob! I have only made it a few times. Made it into a cold salad, with lots of garlic, lemon, feta, cranberries, herbs, etc. it is good. I need to use it more.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by esgunn (Yea Rob! I have on...)
My favorite recipe to use with quinoa is soy sauce chicken. Somehow the sauce tastes so much better on quinoa than it does on rice. Just make sure you rinse the quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer before cooking.

If you want me to send you the recipe, let me know. It's pretty easy.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by chef_Tab (My favorite recipe t...)
You are in for some fun, Labs. I do love quinoa.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by chef_Tab (My favorite recipe t...)
Quote:

If you want me to send you the recipe, let me know. It's pretty easy.

Yes. Please. I've noticed that you have mentioned that several times, but without having the quinoa until now, I hadn't considered asking for the recipe.
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quinoa Salad!

In a large bowl, whisk 3T olive oil, 2T fresh lemon juice, and 1t minced garlic; season with salt and pepper.
Add 3 cups cooked quinoa, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 cup chopped green bell pepper, 1 cup chopped cucumber, 1/2 cup crumbled feta, and 1/4 cup diced red onion.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by foodfiend (Quinoa Salad![br][br...)
I'm home tomorrow a.m. (well, home in the trailer) so I'll post some of my favorites - if I can find them on this laptop.

gotta say quinoa and feta are an irresistable combination for me. throw in sun-dried tomatoes and a little kalamata....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by cjs (I'm home tomorrow a....)
Bought a 26-ounce bag today. Shall probably try the first experiment on the weekend.
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by labradors (Bought a 26-ounce ba...)
Many great things about it... complete protein, versatile and tastes good! Looking forward to reading about your experiments.
  Re: Re: Hurray! I can get quinoa! by HomeCulinarian (Many great things ab...)
O.K., here are some of my favorites -

* Exported from MasterCook *

KELLY'S SWEET CORN QUINOA

1 large onion -- diced
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 Tb celery -- brunoise
2 Tb carrot -- brunoise
2 Tb red bell pepper -- brunoise
4 Tb parsley
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
3 Cups Quinoa
6 cups Sweet Corn Stock (or Vegetable stock)
oil for sautéing vegetables

1. In a medium pot with a lid add the oil and heat.
2. Add the onion, celery, garlic, carrot and bell pepper and sweat with no color.
3. Add the corn and sweat again.
4. Add the quinoa and parch
5. Add the stock and bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes uncovered.
6. Season, cover and cook another 15 minutes and remove from heat.
7. Let stand 4-5 minutes covered and remove to a large bowl and toss with a fork.
8. Hold warm

Description:
"This one my friend Chef Kelly Johnson made for a fundraiser dinner we put on in Colorado a few years ago. I'll just post the Quinoa part of it. He served the trout over the quinoa with a reduced shellfish sauce. But, the quinoa by itself, was delicious"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

QUINOA AND WILD RICE PILAF*****

1/2 cup wild rice -- prepared as directed
1 cup Quinoa -- prepared as directed
-----
2 scallions -- sliced on the bias
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger -- grated or finely chopped
1/4 cup pistachio nuts -- coarsely chopped, external salt rubbed off
1/4 cup cranberries -- coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 dash Chinese 5 spice
Salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste
Topping:
2 Tablespoons Feta cheese

Combine wild rice and quinoa in a bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well; cover and warm in microwave.

Also very good as a cold or room temperature lunch.

note: served w/hawaiian beef strips, oven roasted asparagus (olive oil & balsamic) and topped w/orange slices

Description:
"I topped this with a little Feta cheese and it gave it just the right oomph!"

Bacon Quinoa with Almonds and Herbs
a F&W recipe

1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon -- cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 small shallot -- minced
1 cup quinoa -- rinsed
2 cups chicken stock
1 sage sprig
1 tablespoon minced chives
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast in the oven until golden brown, 4 minutes; let cool.

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat until the fat has rendered, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot and cook, stirring a few times, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute.

Add the quinoa, stock and sage and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the stock has been absorbed, about 17 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

Discard the sage and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir in the chives, parsley and toasted almonds. Season the quinoa with salt and pepper and serve.

This one, a couple of us here made it and loved the dish.

Santa Fe Quinoa Salad *****
a F&W recipe

3/4 cup quinoa (about 5 ounces)
1 1/2 cups water
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
Freshly ground pepper
One 15-ounce can black beans -- rinsed
1 small red bell pepper -- finely diced
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
One 3-ounce jar cocktail onions -- drained and finely chopped

In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and a pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Spread the quinoa on a baking sheet; refrigerate for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over high heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 2 minutes; transfer to a blender. Add the lime juice and oil and blend. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the dressing into a bowl and add the black beans, bell pepper, cilantro and cocktail onions. Scrape the quinoa into the bowl, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Make Ahead

The quinoa salad can be refrigerated overnight.

Description:
"At L.A. Bento in Los Angeles, chef Chad Aaland makes quinoa salad with three types of beans and house-pickled onions. This streamlined version with black beans and jarred cocktail onions is tasty, too."
Drink a Malbec with.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

have fun!
www.achefsjourney.com