Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29?
  Re: (...)
What's for dinner?

We're having grilled burgers - nothing fancy, just good ole burgers.(well maybe a slice or two of bacon... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by cjs (What's for dinner?[b...)

Some sort of tuna or tilapia! That's all I have on hand.

I have a freezer/refrigerator in my kitchen, and a smaller one in the laundry room/pantry along with a large upright freezer and my goal after returning from vacation has been to get the old stuff cleared out and used up. I pretty much have so now I'm working on a nice, long list to pick up from Sam's on Friday.

Also tomatoes and zucchini of some sort. I'm going to cook a couple of baskets of tomatoes today to make into sauce over the weekend, but there are so many (nice problem to have, though).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by foodfiend ([br]Some sort of tun...)
"(nice problem to have, though)" - you bet it is!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by foodfiend ([br]Some sort of tun...)
Was talking about food and cooking with the Honduran guy who runs the pulperia around the corner from me. One thing I mentioned was Chicken with Leeks and Cream, and that got me craving it again, so I'm going to make that tonight and take a sample of it over for him and his wife to try.

P.S.: A pulperia is a small, local, neighbourhood store that is often connected to or part of someone's house. Indeed, many of them are actually someone's porches or even windows in someone's houses. There's no better way to explain it, since "local store" would probably conjure up images of some kind of "mini mart" for most Americans and "convenience store" would evoke ideas of a 7-11, and pulperias are much more local and personal than that.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by labradors (Was talking about fo...)
Hope you guys can help me out. I have some ground meat and some zucchini....but no inspiration.
So far I thought about: Some kind of tamale? stuffed zukes? Shepherds pie? all sounded BORING

Any ideas?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by farnfam (Hope you guys can he...)
Cis, If you feel like "playing", I have a recipe that my Mom used to make but there are no measurements or set directions.

Brown ground meat, drain on paper toweling.

Saute chunks of zucchini and onion. Stir in ricotta (or cottage) cheese, an equal amount of Monterey Jack (or cheddar, or almost any other type of cheese, actually), a beaten egg or two, salt and pepper and any other seasonings you wish. Add some chopped tomato for additional flavor and color if desired. Fold in meat.

Pour into a buttered casserole dish and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle on about a half cup of dry bread crumbs and about 1-2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces. Bake for another 15 minutes or until bubbly.

It really good and I haven't had it for years. Time to add ground turkey to the grocery list!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by foodfiend (Cis, If you feel lik...)
Vicci that sounds so good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by foodfiend (Cis, If you feel lik...)
I may take the easy way out again - 6th grade ancient civilization is taking up an awful lot of my time. While at TJ's yesterday I tasted a dish they put together using all TJ ingredients.

It's called Creme Fraiche Green Chile Chimichurri Rice. Very original when you see the list of ingredients.

2 packages frozen chimichurri rice & vegetable mix
1 container creme fraiche
1 can green chiles
shredded pepper jack cheese

You basically make a layered casserole dish. I might add either cooked ground beef or cooked chicken or Tony will wonder where the meat is. It was actually pretty good for a minimal amount of effort.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by Trixxee (I may take the easy ...)
Vicci, that does sound good! I could certainly "Mex" up the flavors or Italian or even give an Asian flare. Thanx
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner - 9/29? by cjs ("(nice problem to ha...)
Roasted chicken ala Ina Garten, brussel sprouts with lemon and chives and potato mash with chives. The chicken is always a superstar---so very moist and tasty with the hints of thyme, garlic and lemon.

We are on a diabetic diet---prednisone has played havoc with his glucose and cholesterol levels-----another challenge to overcome but WE WILL SURVIVE!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy