Albondigas Soup- Issue 80
  Re: (...)
I reviewed this in another thread but we had leftovers for lunch and as it is such a wonderful soup (and we are entering Soup Season) that I thought I'd give it its own thread.It's very easy to make (I had made and frozen the meatballs the week before, and also chopped the onion and sliced the zucchini the day prior since I was making it for guests). Very tasty. And Burr's Red Chili Cornbread (posted by Jean earlier this year) went very well with the soup.

I made a few small changes:

Added 1/2 poached, shredded chicken breast
Added 3/4 teaspoon cumin
Used sliced zucchini instead of mushrooms (and bell pepper would also be great in this to up the veggies).
Subbed chicken broth for beef.
Used frozen roasted corn kernels (from TJ's)

[Image: AlbondigasSoup.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Albondigas Soup

Original Recipe By: Cuisine at Home, Issue 80
Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 medium garlic clove -- minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 6-inch corn tortillas -- torn into pieces
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels -- (or fresh)
2 cups chopped zucchini -- (or sliced mushrooms)
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Mini-Bacon Meatballs
1/4 cup light sour cream
3 tablespoons skim milk
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro -- chopped
Saute onion in oil in a large pot over medium heat, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic and chili powder and cook & stir for another minute.

Add broth, water, torn tortillas, and 1/2 cup of the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.

Puree soup in blender and return to pot (or use hand-blender). Add remaining tomatoes, corn, zucchini, cumin, and meatballs. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper (and lime juice,if desired).

Mix sour cream and milk in a small bowl.

Serve soup garnished with thinned sour cream and chopped cilantro.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Issue #80"
Yield:
"7 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 215 Calories (kcal); 10g Total Fat; (35% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 5mg Cholesterol; 92mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

For the meatballs, I used ground turkey, and turkey bacon.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mini-Bacon Meatballs

Original Recipe By: Cuisine at Home, Issue 80
Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 strips turkey bacon
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1 large egg
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon paprika -- (I used smoked paprika)
1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound ground turkey

Preheat oven to 400F

Saute bacon until just crisp, remove and drain on paper towels.

In the same skillet (addas much canola oil as necessary to prevent sticking), saute onion over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just softened. Add garlic and continue to stir and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and allow to
cool until lukewarm

Chop bacon. In a medium bowl beat the egg. Stir in the bacon and onion mixture, then the bread crumbs through the seasonings. When these are mixed, using your hands, add the ground turkey and knead gently until all of the ingredients are combined.

Spray a broiler pan with cooking spray. Form the meat mixture into 1" balls and place on the pan, leaving at least an inch between each meatball. Bake until fully cooked, about 10 minutes.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Issue #80"
Yield:
"24 pieces"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 152 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (45% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 98mg Cholesterol; 376mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Make a double or triple (or more!) batch as these freeze very well. Place cooled meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer, freeze for 2-3 hours and then transfer to a large plastic freezer bag.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Albondigas Soup- Issue 80 by foodfiend (I reviewed this in a...)
I should have checked this before. This could also work for tonite's dinner. At last, a bit of inspiration
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Albondigas Soup- Issue 80 by farnfam (I should have checke...)
Thanks, Vicci! I'll add this to the list for cooler weather.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.