Bad, Bad Jean!!
  Re: (...)
Oh my, don't these just sound so bad?????
* Exported from MasterCook *

Thousand Dollar Bars

Shortbread layer:
1 cup salted butter -- (2 sticks) at room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
Caramel layer:
2 cups caramel -- cut into small chunks
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Chocolate layer:
3 cups chopped milk chocolate or dark chocolate -- melted
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (optional)
Shortbread layer:
8 ounces salted butter -- at room temperature
4 ounces confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 1/2 ounces King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
Caramel layer:
20 ounces caramel. cut into small chunks
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Chocolate layer:
18 ounces milk or dark chocolate -- melted
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (optional)

1) FOR THE CRUST: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Spray a 9" x 13" pan lightly with cooking spray, or line with parchment, and set aside.

2) In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour. At first the mixture may seem dry, but will come together as you continue to beat at medium speed.

3) Take the dough (it will be somewhat stiff) and press it evenly into the pan. Lightly flouring your fingertips will help with any sticking.

4) Prick the crust all over with a fork. The holes will allow steam to escape and the crust will bake evenly with fewer bubbles.

5) Bake the crust until it's lightly golden brown on top and the edges are deeper golden brown, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the edges to loosen the crust. Set it aside to cool completely.

6) FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER: Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in a small saucepan. Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill and firm up.

7) FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER: Melt the milk or dark chocolate slowly in a double boiler or over very low heat. If it seems very thick, add a tablespoon of shortening to thin it. Pour evenly over the chilled caramel layer and spread to cover all of the caramel. Return to the fridge until the chocolate is well set. Cut into 2" x 2" squares to serve. It's best to store these bars in the refrigerator.

8) These bars can also be cut and dipped in milk chocolate to resemble Twix ® bars. After the caramel layer has chilled firm, cut down the length of the pan, splitting the bars into two long, narrow bars. Then cut each long strip into "fingers". Dip the chilled bars into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to set for several hours.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by cjs ( Oh my, don't th...)
Jean, you ARE bad! I'm giving this recipe to my Mom so she can make them and distribute them to the grandkids, saving a couple for me...

But, I finished off a box of Godiva truffles in two days, so I am pretty bad too.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by cjs ( Oh my, don't th...)
That's just evil! I'm not sure I have the space in the fridge so . . . . I may have to toss some food to . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by Harborwitch (That's just evil! I...)
Jean, I can't begin to tell you how bad you are! The only way they could sound any better, is if there was some nuts in there somewhere...like in the caramel layer(s)...OIY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I can't begin ...)
Are you TRYING to out-evil Jean???? Slivered almonds!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by Harborwitch (Are you TRYING to ou...)
As I sit here and try to justify making these...I think I've got it! If I wanted to make these for Christmas, I would HAVE to make them ahead of time to "test" the recipe...right!?!?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by Gourmet_Mom (As I sit here and tr...)
Oh my. Another one to try. Good thing when I make these I don't have to eat them all myself, I can put them out on the dessert table.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by Lorraine (Oh my. Another one ...)
I was debating whether to try these or the cappuccino bars for book club tomorrow night...but then I realized how similar they are to an old (old!!) favorite, but the old favorite has nuts! In the interest of being a good citizen and aiding the corruption in this thread, here's that recipe (and I guess I'm going to do the cappuccino bars and finally review them):

* Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *

Caramel Turtle Truffle Tart

Recipe By : Southern Living, May 1993

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I use chopped dark chocolate)
1/4 cup whipping cream
14 oz carmel candy
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 cups pecans, toasted

1. Sugar Cookie Crust: Position knife blade in food processor; add first 3 ingredients, process until crumbly. Add egg through chute while processor is running, add vanilla. Spread into bottom and up sides of an 11" tart pan; prick generously with a fork. (I usually use a 13x9x2 pan--its easier to cut into squares!) Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until golden brown; cool.
Chocolate Layer: Combine chips and cream in a microwave-safe bowl; cook on high for 1 - 1 1/2 minutesuntil chocolate melts, stirring once. Spread one cup onver crust, reserve remainder. Chill at least 1/2 hour.
Caramel Nut Layer: To toast pecans, spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes, until golden. Combine cream and caramels in a heavy saucepan, cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Stir in pecans and spread evenly over chocolate layer.

Spoon reserved chocolate into a pastry bag with a small tip, drizzle chocolate over caramel. Chill at least one hour before cutting into squares and serving.
  Re: Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by karyn (I was debating wheth...)
Thank you Karyn and all - it's nice to know I'm not the only bad one (but then, I never thot I was...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bad, Bad Jean!! by cjs (Thank you Karyn and ...)
Didn't even read past the caramels.... you are bad!