Breakfast Ideas
  Re: (...)
Ok, I think I am just having a mind block. We think Chris might be developing a milk allergy. If he has milk or ice cream, or yogurt at night it really upsets his system. We want to take him off completly for awhile. but we do a lot of dairy - cheese, yogurt, sour cream, milk, etc.

I am drawing blank on breakfast ideas. Our usual weekly breakfasts are: cereal, yogurt and banana, oatmeal, eggs, and on weekends a french toast, pancake, waffle. He is not a huge fan of eggs but will eat them once a week.

I just think oatmeal is going to get really boring for breakfast 5 times a week. Peanut butter toast and banana is an option. Anyone have any other ideas?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Breakfast Ideas by esgunn (Ok, I think I am ju...)
Erin - Do you stick to pancakes on the weekends because of time restraints? If so, I think you can freeze pancakes ahead of time.

Other suggestions: cream of wheat, cinnamon toast, apple sauce, canadian bacon (very lean and it heats up in the micro in about 10 seconds), egg sandwich on mini bagels.
  Re: Re: Breakfast Ideas by Trixxee (Erin - Do you stick ...)
Give almond milk a try. Hubby is lactose intolerant likes rice and almond milks for his cereal.
  Re: Re: Breakfast Ideas by Trixxee (Erin - Do you stick ...)
Can you try goat's milk as an ingredient - it's pretty nasty to drink as is, but maybe as part of something else?

Kashi bars
Breakfast barley with fruit
Tomato & Mozz. melt on Eng. muffin, or whatever
Omelet
Eggs on toast topped with a marinara
BLTs
Frittata
Sausage and egg scramble
Zucchini, Potato, bacon scramble
French toast made with egg mixed w/a little water
Polenta fritters w/maple syrup
Breakfast burritos

Also, Erin, I would think a lot of appetizers could be altered to be great make ahead breakfasts.

Hope this helps a little. Gonna be hard - 'cause when the other two see the fun food he's getting, you know what's going to happen!!

Edited to add a few more ideas:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Couscous Timbales
Serving Size : 12

2 c vegetable broth
1 c black beans -- drained and rinsed
1 med tomato -- seeded and chopped
1 T Santa Fe-style spice blend
1 pkg couscous -- tomato lentil-flavored (5.7 oz. pkg.)

In a medium saucepan,combine the broth, beans, tomato, and spice blend. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.

Coat a 1/2-cup custard cup or measuring cup with spray. Stir the couscous mixture and spoon into the cup, pressing to pack. Turn the cup over onto a serving plate and carefully remove the cup. Repeat with remaining couscous to make 12 timbales.

Description:
"from neighbor Joe & Rachel's book - try topping timbales with a chunky salsa"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cranberry Date Breakfast Bars
Serving Size : 36

6 ounces dried cranberries
8 ounces chopped dates
1/2 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup flour -- all purpose
2 cups oats, rolled (raw)
1 cup brown sugar -- packed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup sugar, powdered
1 tbsp orange juice -- (1 to 2) optional
1/4 tsp vanilla -- optional

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a saucepan over low heat, simmer cranberries, dates and water, stirring constantly.

Simmer until all water is absorbed; remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla; set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter or margarine until well blended.

Spread half of the flour mixture into ungreased 9 x 13-inch pan; bake in oven for 8 minutes.
Remove from oven and spoon cranberry/date mixture over crust; sprinkle with remaining flour mixture, pat gently.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned; cool.

Optional: Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and orange juice to make a frosting. Drizzle over cereal bars.

Servings: Provides 3 dozen bars

-----

Duh, don’t know why it took me so long to think of this – make up individual pizza doughs and freeze, just pull out and top with goodies – pizza is good w/out cheese also.
And most of my pizza doughs don't have milk in them.

-----

BEEF PICADILLO DIP

1 lb. ground beef
16 oz. can tomatoes
16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
3 green onions, fine chop
3/4 cup sliced pimiento
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 oz. can tomato sauce
Garlic powder & crushed red pepper to taste
Frito corn chips

Brown meat lightly & add rest of ingredients.
Heat thru & serve with the chips.

-----
Carnitas with tortillas

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breakfast Ideas by cjs (Can you try goat's m...)
If you used a different type of milk could you make biscuits, maybe? Or can he tolerate milk when cooked in a biscuit/cake/bread? These are Southern favorites and were regulars for my kids along with the breakfast burritos that Jean already mentioned. They were great for grab and go.

Ham biscuits (with or without egg)
Sausage biscuits (with or without egg)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Breakfast Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (If you used a differ...)
My dad uses vanilla soy milk on his cereal, so you might want to try that option. If your son can tolerate soy milk, then you could try making quiches with it and that variety is endless.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Breakfast Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (If you used a differ...)
Our great niece is allergic to milk to the point that Mommy can't eat or drink any dairy as long as she's breast feeding. Jennifer was allergic to milk as an infant but outgrew it later. She got goats milk.

Bob and I tried almond milk - pretty good! I gather the rice milk is a little less rich and a little less sweet. How about the Lactaid milk that is for those that are lactose intolerant???? There are cheeses made from it too (I think), or the cheese made from tofu? Sounds nasty to me, but lots of people seem to like it.

One of our favorite breakfast treats is fried rice with lots of egg scrambled in.

Good luck!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Breakfast Ideas by esgunn (Ok, I think I am ju...)
Erin, I have a sensitivity to milk. I can't drink it, eat much ice cream or some yogurts. But I have no problem with cheese in small amounts. Have you tried the lactose intolerant forms of dairy products? Years ago, I would have to buy pills to put in my milk in order to digest them properly. They worked. Now you can buy lots of lactose intolerant products. Hope this helps! And, the almond and rice products are palatable. Never could catch onto soy, though.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Breakfast Ideas by pjcooks (Erin, I have a sensi...)
Erin, absolutely give the almond milk a try, especially on cereal.
I don't have any ideas other than those expressed already here. We are big egg-eaters and I can't imagine not liking those!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Breakfast Ideas by foodfiend (Erin, absolutely giv...)
Erin,

My son has a lot of allergies and from it I have learned one thing very valuable: You don't have to have 'breakfast food' for breakfast. Go for healthy and balanced.

Often my son will have a warm ham sandwich. Most often he has dinner leftovers from the previous night. Here are some other alternatives.

-Jelly bagel (you can have a PB&J if you have no peanut issues.)
-tuna salad bagel
-cinnamon toast
-sausage patty, ham, bacon on and English muffin (have also done meatballs and sauce, leftover turkey or any warm meat.) He seems to prefer a warm meat at breakfast.
-add some fruits, diced pears, applesauce, strawberries, melons, etc.

I buy the calcium fortified OJ and Apple Juice. He does like soy milk, but he has been on soy milk since he was very young and actually loves it. It may be difficult to switch at this age for your son.

But there is nothing wrong with having broccoli, green beans or asparagus for breakfast either. Just remember, breakfast does not have to be breakfast food. You will open up a whole new world of choices.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura