REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash
  Re: (...)
Made this for dinner tonight and it was a hit! Easy to make and very tasty. I used a piece of pork loin because that is what I had, and was careful not to overcook, just brown it. The meat finishes cooking in the sauce and is just perfect. The flavors in this dish were really nice, just a hint of sweet from the apple juice and the crimini mushrooms were delicious with the pork.

This dish might be even better made with pork tenderloin. The only thing I would change about this recipe would be to increase the carrots a bit. This dish is served over an Apple Potato Mash that was also very tasty.

Overall, a very nice meal that we will have again. This recipe is from the latest issue, No. 83, which is quickly becoming a favorite.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by Mare749 (Made this for dinner...)
Thanks for the review, Maryann. I keep looking at that one, but the apple just hasn't appealed to me when I've had it with pork. Maybe I'll revisit the flavors with this one. I like everything else about the recipe, so why not.

I'm making a recipe from this issue tonight: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread I'll review it later tonight. Jodie is here tonight, so this one is perfect. I'm making enough for 9 servings...LOL! Anyway, the boys are hunting this evening, so dinner will be late. I'll have it ready shortly, but they won't get out of their tree stands until after dark. OIY! The joys of hunting season!

Speaking of which, Maryann, do you remember William complaining about what time he has to eat dinner sometimes? DUH! During hunting season they don't get home until around 8 IF they don't kill a deer! Yet he's going to complain about having to eat at 8 maybe once a week? NOT!!!!

On the other hand, here you are reviewing dinner at 5:52 my time....4:52 your time. OIY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by Mare749 (Made this for dinner...)
That does look good, Maryann - and you make it sound very inviting.

Speaking of potato mash, I took a pkg. of patties from the freezer with us last week that I had made for my aunt a couple of months ago. A combination of mashed white potato, sweet potato and cauliflower - she had mentioned how much she liked it. And I have to agree with her, they were delicious. don't remember how that combination came to be, but I'll sure do it again.

Thanks for the review - the recipe is marked.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by cjs (That does look good,...)
Sounds delicious. I *think* I have this issue.
Maryann, I reviewed this earlier and I agree it is very good.
Shannon
  Re: Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by Dismc (Maryann, I reviewed ...)
That sounds really good, Maryann. He made a sweet potato/apple gratin for the brunch last week, and I loved the combination.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by Dismc (Maryann, I reviewed ...)
Sorry, Shannon, I was away on vacation so missed your review. I'll do a search next time to be sure.

Daphne, with all the other ingredients the apple juice in the sauce isn't that pronounced, so you might be okay with it. Same with the potatoes, you only use 1 apple with 2 lbs. of potatoes, so it's barely noticeable, but tasty.

I've been thinking that this would be a great way to have a second meal with leftover pork and would be even faster to put together.
Maryann

Re: Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by Mare749 (Sorry, Shannon, I wa...)
Also, Maryann, we froze the leftovers and they were almost as good as the first night. Love complete frozen dinners.
Shannon
  Re: Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by Dismc (Also, Maryann, we fr...)
Thanks, good to know! Next time, I'll try that. We liked it well enough to have it again, so will be using the l/os tomorrow night.
Maryann

Re: Re: REVIEW:Pork & Mushroom Stew with Apple Potato Mash by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the revie...)
"On the other hand, here you are reviewing dinner at 5:52 my time....4:52 your time. OIY!"

Daphne, I think we're on the same time. We've never had to change the time on a clock, watch, or phone when visiting.
However, we did eat unusually early yesterday.
Maryann