REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread
  Re: (...)
I made this one just as written with two exceptions. William called and said Jodie was here, and Jodie likes to eat....anything! So I needed to increase the ingredients. I wasn't prepared for that, but I made do....

Changes:
-I only had enough tomato puree and diced for half the recipe, but I did have enough whole stewed tomatoes to make the difference for 3/4 the recipe. I don't think this affected the recipe at all.

-The other exception was the bread. The grocery didn't have ciabatta this time...it's a new product, so I knew it was risky not to make my own this weekend. I used an Italian loaf and toasted it.

Recommendation:
-Because of the bread substitution, it was easier to eat this open faced. I would like to try it again with ciabatta to see if it would work. But to be honest, a sloppy joe winds up being a knife and fork dish anyway. And I liked the crunch of the bread.

-I'd cut back the red pepper flakes by 1/4 to 1/2. Even the guys thought it was REALLY spicy.

But even with all that, we thought it was very good. I'd give it an 7.5. But much higher without the heat. I'll definitely do it again. I didn't take a picture because it was cut and served in stages as people got home and were ready to eat...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by Gourmet_Mom (I made this one just...)
Hi Daphne

I made this recipe tonight also - my only sub was chicken broth for Red Wine
and we left out red pepper flakes entirely

We liked this and will be having it again. I used the single cibatta rolls.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by mjkcooking (Hi Daphne [br][br]I ...)
Hi, Marye! That's too funny we had the same dinner! Yea, the red pepper flakes were a bit much. I'd use half if you like heat, quarter if you want a bite, or leave them out.
Daphne
  Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by Gourmet_Mom (I made this one just...)
Daphne, we're going to try this one with the ciabatta bread. Thanks for the review AND the advice!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Quote:

...it was easier to eat this open faced.

That makes sense. I always find it difficult to eat with a closed face.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

...it was easier to eat this open faced.

That makes sense. I always find it difficult to eat with a closed face.

[/blockquote]

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Geez, you are on a roll trying new dishes, Daphne!! I feel like a real slacker. These sound tasty and messy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by cjs (Geez, you are on a r...)
Thanks for the review, Daphne. That one was next on the list. Don't you just love the current issue?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by Mare749 (Thanks for the revie...)
Yes, I do. If I'm not mistaken, tonight's dinner is from this issue, also. Either this one or the last one.
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Italian Joe on Ciabatta Bread by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, I do. If I'm no...)
I was browning ground turkey and turkey Italian sausage for a lasagna and made some extra for this recipe. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned diced and crushed tomatoes instead of puree (had these all on hand for the lasagna, so what the heck). DELICIOUS! I used a half loaf of French bread, split and hollowed out a bit.

I don't think I would have looked at this if you hadn't brought it up, Daphne, since I've never had a sloppy joe before. And I wish I had remembered your suggestion about eating it open faced. Now I know why this type of sandwich is called sloppy joe!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com