Pork Tenderloin Packaging Q
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I've been laid up with a bum back for the past few days so I've been listening and looking at the various recipes and reviews going on here.

Pork tenderloin doesn't come up too often, but when it does, the recipe always calls for a 1-2 lb loin to use.

But when I buy the pre-packaged loins between those weights, they usually seperate in two loins.

Does this happen to you and what do you do? Tie them together or use them seperately (according to needed weight)?

I'm thinking of a recipe for a pork tenderloin encroute with cherry wine sauce for this Saturday.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Pork Tenderloin Packaging Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I've...)
Barbara, I use them separately. I've never heard of using them together, but that doesn't mean it isn't done. That being said, I would assume that if it was meant to be tied together, it would say so in the recipe. If you are creating a recipe, and you're doing it encroute, I would use them singularly and make two packages. That way, you can be sure not to over cook the outer portions of meat while trying to get the center cooked to temp.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin Packaging Q by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I use them ...)
Same here, Barbara, I use them separately also. Your recipe sounds good. Let us know how it turns out. And hope you are feeling better soon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin Packaging Q by Mare749 (Same here, Barbara, ...)
It's easy to confuse a pork loin and pork tenderloin also - sometimes the recipes are misleading.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Tenderloin Packaging Q by cjs (It's easy to confuse...)
Thanks for all the great advice! I just wish [Email]C@H[/Email] had approached this subject at one time.

My way of en croute is to pre-brown the meat and then wrap it in the pastry dough - rolled out thinner than out of the package, of course. I have a convection setting to help the dough brown while the meat cooks to temp. But then again, that's why God and Taylor invented instant read and oven thermometers.

There were two recipes that stand out in my mind with the pork tenderloins. One was stuffed with Boursin cheese and cooked en croute. Boy oh boy, did that vex the crap out of me. The other was just wrapped in pastry dough and cooked. Don't recall the exact issues, but I'll look those up on Saturday.

I'm just going to do a seasoned pork tenderloin in pastry dough with a variation of the Port Wine Sauce for Beef Tenderloins in the [Email]C@H[/Email] For Two and sub cherries for cranberries.

I've also seen a menu item with Duck breast with Blueberry Wine Sauce. Betcha it's the same sauce but with blueberries! Wish the Hubby liked duck.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.