Stock up now
  Re: (...)
I just read that prices are expected to go up on coffee and bacon - and some other non-food items.

The price of pork bellies, from which bacon is cut, jumped to an all-time high of $1.42 a pound, soaring more than 200 percent from a year ago, according to a CNN Money report. Retail prices are up nearly 16 percent over the past few months, from about $3.64 per pound in April to $4.21 in July, according to the Department of Agriculture.

The price of coffee futures recently hit a 13-year high, which drove up the price of a cup of Joe at places like Starbucks. Blame bad weather in South America and low U.S. stockpiles of coffee beans.

Coffee from Folgers, Dunkin' Donuts and Millstone already costs an average of 9 percent more. Kraft Foods raised prices on Maxwell House Coffee and Yuban coffee products by about 9 percent in September, translating into a price hike of 5 to 30 cents per pound of ground coffee and an increase of 2.5 cents per ounce for instant coffee.

And prices on single-serve K-cups -- sold as Tully's Coffee, Timothy's Coffee, Newman's Own Organics, Caribou Coffee and other Green Mountain Coffee brands -- will rise 10 percent to 15 percent, starting Oct. 11.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Stock up now by esgunn (I just read that pri...)
Quote:

And prices on single-serve K-cups -- sold as Tully's Coffee, Timothy's Coffee, Newman's Own Organics, Caribou Coffee and other Green Mountain Coffee brands -- will rise 10 percent to 15 percent, starting Oct. 11.

I guess I need to place a BIG order for my K-cups, because giving them up would mean that I would wind up back at Starbucks! My Keurig coffeemaker has saved me a small fortune over the past 3 or 4 years by breaking the Starbucks habit. I really love it.
  Re: Re: Stock up now by karyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Yes!! Bacon here is not $4.19 a pound!!
  Re: Re: Stock up now by DFen911 (Yes!! Bacon here is ...)
Better get my order in for more pork bellies.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stock up now by cjs (Better get my order ...)
I've got two pork bellies in the freezer, but I'm wondering if I might want to get a couple more. It's time to make bacon again, and that will deplete my supply. Not to mention, I haven't done the Hoisin recipe that Jean posted a while back.

As for the coffee, I think I may need to stock up at Sam's. We go through a lot of coffee. In addition, I think it's time to go back to grinding my own beans. We really saw a difference when we started grinding our own, but "life" sent us back to Maxwell House. Time to get a new grinder. (The old one is consigned to spices.)

Speaking of using a grinder for spices. I've wanted to ask this for a while. How do you clean your grinder so that a previously ground spice doesn't affect the next batch?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Stock up now by Gourmet_Mom (I've got two pork be...)
Quote:

Speaking of using a grinder for spices. I've wanted to ask this for a while. How do you clean your grinder so that a previously ground spice doesn't affect the next batch?

I usually just whir some white rice in it. If I've done a really pungent spice, I'll do it twice. I wipe out any residue with a paper towel.
  Re: Stock up now by esgunn (I just read that pri...)
Yes, running a C-Store which has a Starbucks franchise and a Pita Pit franchise, I have been notified about the price increases in both. Demand for bacon is at an all time high, despite the "healthy eating" wave that is hitting the country. Coffee, they will always come to get, no matter the price. It's the convenience of leaving the dining hall and being able to stop in at the Cafe on the way out to get a coffee to go.

Ben and Jerry's ice cream has gone up, too. 5%, too much to simply absorb, as is our usual custom. That would be a loss of $1400 a year. We simply have to pass these costs along. Business. So, I guess I'll have to change my menus pretty shortly. Most of my customers use Dining Dollars, a University debit system which gives a 10% discount at POP. Mom and Dad pay for them, and they generally have no idea how much they're paying for anything. How nice to be young

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Stock up now by pjcooks (Yes, running a C-Sto...)
As far as cleaning my spice grinders, I wipe mine out as well as I can, then do as Karen does - rice, or panko, dried bread, something on that order.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stock up now by cjs (As far as cleaning m...)
We go through so much coffee catering, that I stock up whenever it's on sale. Not sure why, but most pork products are dirt cheap here.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Stock up now by Lorraine (We go through so muc...)
We were stunned by grocery prices in North Dakota - and now we're stunned by the prices here. Organic/family farm raised chickens fed & raised naturally are around 3 bucks a lb. back there - out here $8! Good eggs are higher here by almost double.

We stopped in our favorite Mexican grocery store the other day - everything was so much cheaper. We don't have a lot of room to store stuff, but we're planning on getting busy on some more bacon with Joan.

I checked the prices on green coffee beans - not much of an increase showing up there. I think we'll go back to roasting our own beans.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!