REVIEW: Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole Issue 83
  Re: (...)
Okay, Issue 83 is a home run! This was really, really good...a solid 8 1/2. It's definitely going into the keeper file. I just can't argue with an easy, Tex-Mex, comfort food dish.

I made a few minor modifications, the first one being that I used four ramekins rather than two, and we had plenty to eat, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

- I also used my largest biscuit cutter to cut down the tortillas so they'd fit into my ramekins, but they were small, so I did an extra layer. Next time, I think I'll use a whole one to line the ramekin, and one that I've cut down to create the layers.

- I tried mashing the tomatillos with a spoon, but the skin remained in pretty big pieces, so I gave the salsa a quick whir with an immersion blender to get a more chunky salsa consistency, which we prefer.

- With my schedule (tutoring from 2:30 or 3:30 'til 6:30 most days) I did all the prep, cooked the chicken, made the salsa, toasted the tortillas, and pickled the onion this morning. At 6:30, I nuked the chicken/salsa mixture, assembled the mini-casseroles, and popped them in the oven. Dinner was ready before 7! I love recipes that I can make work that way.

- The pickled onions add a really important dimension to the dish. Don't skip them! I bought a Fresno chili, but it's disappeared...I don't know if it made it home and is hiding in my fridge, or if some lucky soul went home with it instead of me. I usually really like Fresno chilies, so I'll try that next time.

Presentation in the little (7 ounce) ramekins was good, but DH ruined it by dumping everything upside down on his plate, at which point it was kind of a mushy mix. Sigh. No pictures...sorry! I really need to get better about that!
  Re: REVIEW: Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole Issue 83 by karyn (Okay, Issue 83 is a ...)
You know, William is not very keen on Mexican dishes, but this is one I thought he might like. Thanks for the review, Karyn. I think this may be on next week's menu.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole Issue 83 by Gourmet_Mom (You know, William is...)
Thanks for the review, Karyn. I'll have to go back and give that one another look.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole Issue 83 by Mare749 (Thanks for the revie...)
Thanx for the great review, Karyn! I haven't made anything from this issue yet and need to get with it!
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole Issue 83 by HomeCulinarian (Thanx for the great ...)
Why didn't I see this? We love chilaquiles. I wonder where I put my issue...

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Chicken Chilaquiles Casserole Issue 83 by foodfiend (Why didn't I see thi...)
Thanks for the review, Karen - and a few of my tomatillas have gotten ripe!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com