Remember Spanish Rice??
  Re: (...)
My mom used to make this a lot and so did I when the kids were growing up - I don't think I've had it in 20 years at least.

Made some yesterday from my beloved Ortega book, only they call it "Mexican Rice" now. It was so good!

Mexican Rice
from a well worn, dog-eared copy of "Ortega Authenic Family-Style Mexican Cooking, Celebrating 100 years" from 1997.

2 T. butter (I used 1 T.)
1 cup long-grain white rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 4 - a la Labs)
16 oz. jar Ortega Thick & Chunky Salsa, hot, med, or mild (I had Paul Newmans)
1 1/4 cup water
3/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup frozen peas

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until rice is golden (? well, until the nice rice aroma 'wafts' up to you, I'd say).

Stir in salsa, water, carrot & peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Makes 8 servings.

I don't cook my rice on top of the stove, I cook it in a 350° oven for 18-20 minutes.

(By the way, what is the favorite way of cooking rice for all of you?)

This was such a nice change from regular rice and/or pilafs. took me back.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Remember Spanish Rice?? by cjs (My mom used to make ...)
The only time I've ever made it was years ago, from a box mix, but it sure sounds good. For just us, we cook it on the stove, but for catering, he always bakes it. It turns out great every time.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Quote:

2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 4 - a la Labs)

Quote:

16 oz. jar Ortega Thick & Chunky Salsa, hot, med, or mild (I had Paul Newmans)

Much, MUCH better: try Herdez Salsa Casera -not only because it tastes more like REAL, homemade salsa (since, unlike the others, it doesn't contain tomato paste), but also because it's made with serrano chiles and just has a MUCH better flavour.

Although it originated in Mexico, Herdez is now part of Hormel. Many Herdez products are now available in the States, and I've even seen American commercials for the salsa. I first discovered it in Publix grocery store in Orlando (which had enough of a Latino population), and I couldn't imagine how I had ever like Pace, et al.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Remember Spanish Rice?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Haven't had Spanish rice in years. Thanks for bringing it up, Jean. We used to love it, so probably still do. Of course, I had my own conglomeration back then that started with rice-a-roni, then I added on from there. I'll have to try your recipe, it sounds good.

As for cooking rice, we like how it comes out of the steamer, so that's what I use the most. On occasion, I have used the microwave method also. But, for risotto, only on the stove top.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I haven't made it in a long time either. Printing and putting on the menu. I think it will go well with a meal I have planned.

Thanks for the reminder. Labs I'll have to go out to the trailer and find the Herdez - I know there's lots.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Remember Spanish Rice?? by Harborwitch (I haven't made it in...)
I think I've had Herdez - forgot all about it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Remember Spanish Rice?? by cjs (I think I've had Her...)
I love it so much that there are times I almost feel like just drinking it straight out of the container. LOL!

Seriously: I know that, apart from the freshness and the lack of tomato paste, the big reason I like the Herdez so much is that it has serranos instead of jalapeños. I know this is something we've discussed before, but there is a HUGE, wonderful difference in flavour in anything that uses serrano peppers instead of jalapeño peppers. YUMMMMM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Remember Spanish Rice?? by labradors (I love it so much th...)
Herdez is great. Bought some the other day, just in case. I like to add the green salsa to a pork tenderloin white bean chili.
  Re: Re: Remember Spanish Rice?? by Trixxee (Herdez is great. Bo...)
I make Mexican rice fairly regularly as a side and follow about the same recipe as Jean posted. I'm going to look for Herdez salsa. Haven't tried it yet.
  Re: Re: Remember Spanish Rice?? by HomeCulinarian (I make Mexican rice ...)
I have...thanks to some very sweet friends. Then I realized we have the regular (not Hatch variety) Herdez here....Big Mexican population around here due to our large farming community.

I haven't had Spanish Rice in years! I think that needs to go on the menu next week.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.