Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10?
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone??

I thawed out a couple pkgs. of what I thought was the front quarters of chicken. They turned out to be wings that I was saving for a party!!! darn. So, just cooked them up in the crockpot with:

Asian Slow-Cooked Chicken Wings
Serve these wings as either an appetizer with a bleu cheese dressing, or over Udon noodles for an easy main dish. Both ways are delicious.

2 lbs. chicken wings
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 T. honey
2 T. Plum sauce
2 T. Black Bean Garlic sauce

Cut each chicken wing into three pieces; discard the end pointy part and put the other parts of the wing in the slow cooker.

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, barbecue sauce, honey, plum sauce, black bean garlic sauce and pour over the wings. Set slow cooker to high and cook for 2 1/2 hours; or, set to low and cook for 5 hours.

For sauces for the wings¸ here are two ideas:
1.After removing the wings from the slow cooker, pour the ‘gravy’ into small saucepan and thicken with a slurry of cornstarch (1 T. cornstarch mixed with 1 T. cold water).check if amts. correct.

2.Purchase or make a bleu cheese dressing for the wings.

[Image: Chicwings.jpg]

So, tonight we'll try them with the noodles and keep a few to try with the blue cheese (using Mom's roquefort dressing recipe)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Ooooooh those look so goodl Hmmmmmm. I think we need to stay inside and eat what I have. We wind up sitting over cocktails and appys and then don't want dinner.

Maybe we have adjust dinner time - lunch.

Those are going on the menu very soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by Harborwitch (Ooooooh those look s...)
"Maybe we have adjust dinner time - lunch." - Sharon, this really does work!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by cjs ("Maybe we have adjus...)
Jean - that looks like you'd need a bib! Yum!

I've got chicken breasts marinating and some vegetables marinating that will be combined and baked when I get home. It's a recipe from Best Make Ahead from Cook's Illustrated. A repeat appearance.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by HomeCulinarian (Jean - that looks li...)
YUM! Jean, those wings look and sound GREAT! That will definitely go on the menu. Do you think it would work just as well with legs or boneless thighs? I could pick some wings up easily, but I have the legs and thighs in the freezer.

Tonight is the Hatch Green Chile Stew...if I can make it work out without the green enchilada sauce. I thought I'd serve it with rice and cornbread.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by Gourmet_Mom (YUM! Jean, those wi...)
Oh sure - I just had "200 Canapes, Appetizers...." in my mind.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by cjs (Oh sure - I just had...)
Thursday night, so it's pasta night. Spaghetti with Italian turkey sausage and homemade sauce and a romaine salad. Oh, and fresh Italian bread.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by Mare749 (Thursday night, so i...)
French dips on a baguette I picked up at a little Vietnamese place that that bread for their Bahn Mi sandwiches, and a baby romaine salad.
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by Trixxee (French dips on a bag...)
Jean, those wings look delicious!

We're having taco salad...nothing special, but always yummy!
  Re: Re: Thursday's Dinner - 10/14/10? by karyn (Jean, those wings lo...)
Had the Sweet Corn Quinoa as a side (see the separate thread for that).

For the meat, I got a few ribs (not a lot) and glazed them with the little bit of sauce I had left from that chipotle dip, and that was excellent. Well, actually, the FLAVOUR was excellent, but there was too little of it left (and too much juice from the ribs) that it wasn't much of a glaze. I'm seriously considering making a full batch of the sauce, letting it reduce until thicker, then using it as a glaze on ribs or ham.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?