HELP! green enchilada sauce
  Re: (...)
I thought I had some, but I've already used it. I'm making Bill & Jane's Hatch Green Chili stew...already have it half made, actually. Can I sub something? Regular enchilada sauce? Chiles? Salsa Verde? A combination of the Salsa Verde and some Chiles? I have no idea.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: HELP! green enchilada sauce by Gourmet_Mom (I thought I had some...)
Daphne - green enchilada sauce would have tomatillos in it, so you will get a different flavor, but you might go ahead and use the salsa verde.

But, maybe your salsa verde has tomatillos????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: HELP! green enchilada sauce by cjs (Daphne - green enchi...)
Jean, here are the ingredients I found for a homemade green enchilada sauce:

* 1 pound peeled (paper skin) and washed
tomatillos, cut in halves
* 2 medium white onions coarsely chopped.
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 4-6 cloves garlic, smashed or 2 -3 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
* 1 tablespoon mild chili powder (or to taste)
* 2 cups roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped Anaheim chilies
* (Or)1 can diced green chilies -- (4 oz)
* 3 cups mild chicken broth
* Salt and pepper to taste

The Herdez Salsa Verde I have contains, in this order: tomatillas, serrano peppers, salt and cilantro. I'm thinking I should either sub the salsa or mix a can of salsa with a can of chiles. I COULD saute some more onion, but the stew already has a large onion in it, so maybe not.
Daphne
  Re: Re: HELP! green enchilada sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, here are the i...)
Okay, I went with it. Bill & Jane, I apologize in advance...I used a can of the Salsa Verde and another can of my diced chiles. A small sample of the before and after tells me it was a good choice, but I hope to get some of the enchilada sauce when in the city next. I have a feeling this will be a repeat. William may not be keen on Mexican food, but I'm pretty sure he's gonna like this one!
Daphne
  Re: Re: HELP! green enchilada sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I went with it...)
Okay, so the extra chiles might not have been a good idea...LOL! WHEW!

But the flavors in this stew are WONDERFUL! I can't wait to make it again! And I've never been a pepper fan. But the flavor here is great! I will be anxious to try it with regular chiles, but thanks to a good friend, my next batch will contain Hatch chiles....YUM! And that batch WILL have green enchilada sauce to make it authentic. After that, I'm going to try it with the regular Herdez chiles. I'm guessing I'll be ordering my own Hatch chiles after that, but we'll see. Stay tuned!
Daphne
  Re: Re: HELP! green enchilada sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I went with it...)
Hey--sorry we are late--green enchalada sauce normally includes green chilis (like our Hatch chilis or Pablano chilis---same chili family--different taste). If you make traditional green enchalida sauce it has more tomatillos than peppers--they are all good!!! Anything Herdez does is wonderful!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: HELP! green enchilada sauce by Old Bay (Hey--sorry we are la...)
Thanks, Bill! It worked out...hot but good...LOL! I can't wait to make it again with the right ingredient, though!
Daphne