an interesting article
  Re: (...)
from this week's Serious Eats newsletter...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-f...tm_medium=email
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: an interesting article by foodfiend (from this week's [i]...)
Interesting, Vicci. The first one brings back the reverse searing technique discussed on here before.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: an interesting article by Gourmet_Mom (Interesting, Vicci. ...)
I love Kenji and can't wait until his book The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science comes out next year. His recipes are always spot on. His Chicken Canzanese (CI 5/2010) is fantastic, combining crispy skin with fork tender chicken and a great sauce. I just copied his no waste carnita recipe from the Serious Eats site. It seems simple and requires no lard.
  Re: Re: an interesting article by Cubangirl (I love Kenji and can...)
Hmmmmmm....

Saw a couple of recipes that sounds really yummy.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: an interesting article by Cubangirl (I love Kenji and can...)
Quote:

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science

You may also like THIS, then.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: an interesting article by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Wow, what an informative site! Thanks for the link, Rob. I have to explore it more in depth this evening. Looks very interesting...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: an interesting article by foodfiend (Wow, what an informa...)
Doesn't it look great? I just read about it yesterday and haven't had a chance to check it in depth, but just that one page, alone, has a lot of good info.
  Re: an interesting article by foodfiend (from this week's [i]...)
Interesting.

Somewhere I saw an article on cooking pasta - put dry pasta in a pot just big enough to hold it, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, take off heat and let set for the recommended cooking time. It works!

I thought this would be great in the summer, no huge pots of boiling water on the stove. Sadly - I keep forgetting.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: an interesting article by Harborwitch (Interesting. [br][b...)
Great tip, Sharon. And thanks for the site, Labs. I'll check it out more closely this weekend....if I remember.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: an interesting article by Harborwitch (Interesting. [br][b...)
Quote:

...put dry pasta in a pot just big enough to hold it, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, take off heat and let set for the recommended cooking time. It works!

Also, if HUGE amounts of water were really necessary, products such as "Hamburger Helper" would never work. That's also why I've had such good results using fresh ingredients and regular, packaged pasta to make my own "Helper" meals. Certainly costs a lot less than the processed, pre-packaged "Helpers," too.