German food questions
  Re: (...)
I have a dear friend that I have bounced these kinds of questions off of - but I think they're on vacation and not answering their phones.

Tomorrow we're going to Jennifer's to fix a birthday dinner for her husband. The menu includes Knoephla Soup, Rouladen, Beer Braised Red Cabbage, and noodles or :?????

Sooooo two questions come up - can I use smoked pork jowls instead of "speck" and what is the definition of a "German Pickle"????? He's German (took her to Germany and Austria for their honeymoon last year - oh and for Oktoberfest ) so she wants it as authentic as possible. Of course she won't eat the Rouladen so I don't know what she's going to eat.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: German food questions by Harborwitch (I have a dear friend...)
German food varies by region. My mother's relatives argued endlessly about pickles in the rouladen. Mom was of the "no pickles" belief. As I remember, she used bacon, onion, and parsley for the filling. Speck is what mom called bacon. Spaetzle would be so much nicer than noodles, IMHO. Sorry not much help here.
Best of luck, and I am positive they will love whatever you prepare. After all, you have impeccable taste!!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: German food questions by chef_Tab (German food varies b...)
Theresa, I think you answered it perfectly. I'm thinking that pork jowls would be an acceptable substitute for bacon. On the pickles...I have no idea. I haven't a "speck" of German in me, that I know of. Heck, I don't even know what Rouladen is!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: German food questions by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, I think you...)
I am half German but really don't know much about the food. Warm German potato salad is about as far as I go). There is an authentic German shop/deli nearby and every time I go in there I feel intimidated even though everyone is so kind. I'm clueless in other words!
  Re: Re: German food questions by Trixxee (I am half German but...)
I'm with Theresa: Speck = bacon, and spƤtzle would be better than noodles.

Pickle = Essiggurke (think "gherkin")

Rouladen = the German version of Braciole = Beef, spread with mustard, then rolled up around a filling of onions, bacon and pickles. It can vary by the addition of carrots, celery, additional spices (e.g. paprika), red wine, etc.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: German food questions by chef_Tab (German food varies b...)
Thank you all - dinner has been put off - Dan is sick. I'll use jowls, spaetzle is what I'm hoping to make. I guess we're off for a couple days.

Lordy - I hate having my schedules screwed up.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: German food questions by Harborwitch (Thank you all - dinn...)
Since it's been put off, Sharon, I have a German recipe I want to make for Ocktoberfest (I still have 10 more days!!), I'll post it for you - it's one of those 'off the wall' recipes.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com