Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes
  Re: (...)
I have to share this one.

I was going to make the salmon with bourbon glaze last night, but then remembered this recipe I had seen in the August F&W. I have a lot of tomatoes and a lot of jalapeno peppers, so I decided to make it. And how good it was!

The thing about the peppers-- they didn't add much heat at all. I had deseeded them completely, so next time I've noted to seed only about half. I ended up sprinkling powdered jalapeno over to get a little more of a "bite".

Anyway, this was very quick and incredibly good. I served w/ garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.

[Image: JalapenoSalmon.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes

Recipe By:adapted slightly from Marcia Kiesel
Servings: 5

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 whole jalapenos
2 pounds red ripe tomatoes -- coarsely chopped
32 ounces salmon fillet -- cut into two pieces

Remove stem from jalapenos and slice thinly. For a mild dish, remove all seeds and transfer the pepper "circles" to a plate. The more seeds that are left with the peppers, the hotter the finished dish will be.

In a large, deep skillet heat olive oil. Add the jalapenos in a single layer and cook over moderately low heat without stirring until softened, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the jalapenos to a small plate and set aside.

Preheat a grill or grill pan.

Add the chopped tomatoes to the skillet and cook over high heat until they release their juices, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer the tomatoes to a bowl, the boil the remaining tomato juices in the pan over high heat or until thickened, adding any additional accumulated juices from the bowl. * Return the tomatoes to the skillet and season with salt.

Rub the salmon on both sides with olive oil, and grill over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, turn carefully with a wide
spatula, season with s & p and continue to grill until the salmon is opaque in the center (3-6 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish).

Toward the end of the grilling time, reheat the tomatoes gently in the pan. Spoon the tomatoes and their juices onto a serving platter, place the salmon fillets on top, and cover the fish with the jalapenos.

Source:
"Food & Wine, August 2010"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 321 Calories (kcal); 15g Total Fat (2g Saturated); (42% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 94mg Cholesterol; 137mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : *- I must have used "meatier" tomatoes than the person who developed the recipe because I didn't have a lot of excess tomato juices. The was so little that I decided that they would probably burn in the pan if I tried to reduce them. So I killed that entire step of removing the tomatoes from the pan and reducing the excess juices.

Oh, and I also simplified the cooking process for the fish. The recipe was originally for 10 people, using a single 4-1/2 pound salmon fillet. There were instructions for using foil to place the fish on the grill, then using more foil to flip it whole to grill the other side. I halved the recipe and cut the 2-pound piece of salmon in half which was a perfectly manageable-with-a-spatula size.

edited to add sat fat number...
  Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes by foodfiend (I have to share this...)
Sounds good, Vicci! Copied and saved. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes by foodfiend (I have to share this...)
Very pretty - and sounds very very good. Thank you for sharing this one - Bob will like this.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes by Harborwitch (Very pretty - and so...)
Beautiful dish, Vicci! Thanks for sharing.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes by Mare749 (Beautiful dish, Vicc...)
Have to try this! We have tomatoes and peppers like crazy!
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes by HomeCulinarian (Have to try this! W...)
Oh my, sounds very good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com