Cheese Buying Ideas...
  Re: (...)
I've given up on Central Mkt. EVER having Taleggio in stock when I visit - three trips, three nadas. So, I'm going over to igourmet.com and order some. along with the Romadur for the Oktoberfest spread that I'd really like to make.

While I'm spending the kid's inheritance, can anyone suggest anymore cheeses (unique ones, please) that we should try? Might as well make it worthwhile.

Thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by cjs (I've given up on Cen...)
I'll be watching this thread. I am clueless when it comes to cheese. I DO know this sounds like a job for Cheesemonger, though. Just in case you don't hear from her in time, you may want to check her posts. I remember she once discussed a lot of new cheese on a thread once. Maybe around last Christmas?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by Gourmet_Mom (I'll be watching thi...)
that's right, she did - but remember, its Central Market that seems to not to be able to get my darn cheese for me!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by cjs (I've given up on Cen...)
Oh Jean there were 3 cheeses we tried from Igourmet and just loved - I would imagine the notes are in ND. Crud! Sorry, all I can remember is that one was from Chile or Peru??? It was a high mountain sheep's milk as I recall.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by Harborwitch (Oh Jean there were 3...)
But Jean, I'm talking about recommendations for you igourmet order!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by Gourmet_Mom (But Jean, I'm talkin...)
I know, I'm just mad at Central mkt.... don't try to make sense of it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by cjs (I know, I'm just mad...)
I understand your pain!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by Harborwitch (I understand your pa...)
DUH! I get it!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by Gourmet_Mom (DUH! I get it!...)
Well, I'm ordering today and I'm not going to peruse their site or I'll get myself in big trouble.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheese Buying Ideas... by cjs (Well, I'm ordering t...)
I know it's too late, but I thought I'd throw this out there to you, Jean. Mo Rocca did a Foodography show on cheese. (Sorry, this is on Cooking Channel) ANYWAY, he mentioned a cheese I was not familiar with, and since it is supposed to be similar to Manchego, I thought you may like it. It's called petit basque. You may have heard of it, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

This cheese was shared by Chef Jon Shook from Animal. He made a melted petit basque with chorizo and served with grilled bread. It looked awesome.

John Caputo shared his Griddled 3 Cheese Sandwich with Truffle Oil, Pine Nuts and Caramelized Onions that made my mouth water. This recipe is on the site.
Daphne