Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese
  Re: (...)
I’m moving the info about the Cheese spread for Oktoberfest – the one that is not for the faint-hearted. It’s going to get lost.

Laura was interested, Sharon was a weenie about camembert and I want to make this, but I’m not having any luck finding the ‘romadur’ cheese. I did find a recipe for it – it’s in the alternative at the bottom – sounds fun. So,Laura, if you don’t have luck either, we can both make it.

Here's a recipe I found in a German newsletter that I still want to make this month....

Bavarian Obazda - Homemade Cheese Spread for the Biergarten

This is not a cheese spread for the faint-hearted. "Obazda" is made out of stinky, white cheeses and spicy paprika powder, with a good bit of onion thrown into the mix. Do not make this bread spread for a first date or Valentine's day. Do make it for Oktoberfest, to be eaten with pretzels or bread and washed down with good German beer.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups of cheese spread.

•4 oz. ripe Romadur 60% (Belgian soft cheese) or Brie
•4 oz. ripe Camembert (French soft cheese)
•4 oz. softened butter
•1/2 c. minced onion
•1 T. sweet Hungarian paprika
•1 tsp. spicy Hungarian paprika, or to taste
•1/2 tsp. ground caraway
•1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
•Freshly ground black pepper
•Fresh cream to achieve desired consistency

Mash the cheeses and butter together, add the onion and spices and mix well. Add cream to desired spreading consistency. The spread should be the color of bricks.

Refrigerate for a few hours to let the tastes meld together.

If you like a smooth spread, combine the cheeses, butter and spices in a food processor until smooth. Add the minced onion last, by hand. Serve with more onions, pretzels and bread and beer.

Obatzda Recipe (Bavarian Cheese Ball Recipe)
Guest Author - Tracie Marquardt

[ removed due to copyright complaint ]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese by cjs (I’m moving the info ...)
Quote:

I’m moving the info about the Cheese spread for Oktoberfest...

Running a little late? Oktoberfest ends the first weekend in October, so it's already almost three weeks past.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Not late for me! I can keep Oktoberfest going until Thanksgiving!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese by luvnit (Not late for me! I c...)
Jean, this sounds like the kind of recipe my OS would like. I'm going to send it to him. He's really gotten interested in cooking lately. He's into developing his own recipes, but he LOVES "stinky cheeses", so he might just try this one!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, this sounds li...)
I don't really give a d*mn, Scar...I mean, Labs. It's still October!!!!! So there! Laura and I are above rules.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese by cjs (I don't really give ...)
Uh "OCKTOBER"fest! It's still October so the Fest is still on - at least in my house.

Jean I may try the Camembert - just maybe not the stuff that's aged to the point it smells like floor cleaner. I had a bad BAD experience with some stinky stinky cheese as a child and still have some issues - maybe a combo of the stink and the texture???

This does sound like something fun to make.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese by Harborwitch (Uh "OCKTOBER"fest! ...)
Quote:

Uh "OCKTOBER"fest! It's still October so the Fest is still on - at least in my house.

A common, American mistake. In Germany, Oktoberfest heralds the beginning of October by beginning in the last two weeks of September and ending the first weekend of October.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Making Our Own "Romadur" Cheese by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh good, next year we will have about SIX weeks!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com