Cooking pheasant...
  Re: (...)
I have never eaten pheasant and don't have a clue how to cook one. Ron's uncle went hunting out in SD and came back with frozen pheasant and I don't really know what else. Anyway, my father-in-law gave me one today and I want to cook it tomorrow, so it is thawing in the frig right now.

I would really appreciate a favorite recipe for preparing this if anyone has one.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cooking pheasant... by Mare749 (I have never eaten p...)
OMG, have I got this one! And I think Ron will love it! It comes with a horseradish cream sauce! Kinda high on the calorie count, but boy is it worth it for a splurge!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pheasant with Brandy and Sour Cream

Recipe By :The Junior League of Denver
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pheasants
celery and apple slices to stuff the birds
1/4 cup butter
8 shallots -- thinly sliced
1/4 cup brandy
2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
1 pint sour cream
1/4 cup horseradish
bacon

Stuff and truss birds

Brown in butter with shallots.

Remove to Dutch oven or roaster and cover with bacon slices and pan juices.

Pour brandy over and ignite.

When flame subsides, add chicken stock and seasonings.

Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hour, basting occasionally.

Remove cover to brown for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.

Add cream and horseradish to juices.

Baste well and roast 15 minutes, covered.

Serve with juices and rice.

Description:
"This is a wonderful dish. The horseradish sauce really makes this dish!"
Source:
"Colorado Cache Cookbook"
Copyright:
"1978"

NOTES : A friend made this several years ago and it was wonderful. I made it again about a year ago when another friend brought back some pheasant. It is soooo good.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cooking pheasant... by Mare749 (I have never eaten p...)
My mother used to do this with pheasant - cut it up similar to a chicken and prep as for chicken (seasoned flour with lots of garlic powder and s & p), brown in fat in a cast iron skillet. After all is browned, she covered it and bake it in the oven - adding just a little stock. Remove the pieces and make a gravy. It was just delicious.

I've fried it like chicken and not done the oven step and it's wonderful. But, to do it this way you almost have to use clarified butter, so you can cook it longer with no burning.

Below is an excerpt from a recipe from Epicurious which is similar to how my mom did it. (the method, not the caramelized onions -altho they sound delicious! - and the apples)

"
Braise pheasant:
In very large Dutch oven over moderately high heat, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking. Remove pheasant pieces from marinade, scraping off excess, and sprinkle with salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Working in batches, sear pheasant pieces until well browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towel-lined platter to drain.

Preheat oven to 325°F. Skim off all but 1 tablespoon oil from pan, leaving browned bits at bottom, and set pan over moderately low heat. Add butter and heat until melted. Stir in onions, bay leaf, fennel seeds, salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are well caramelized, 30 to 40 minutes.

Return pheasant to pot. Add chicken broth, cider, and wine. (Liquid should cover half of pheasant pieces. Add more chicken broth if necessary.) Raise heat to high and bring liquid to simmer. Add apples, cover, and transfer pot to oven. Braise, turning pheasant pieces occasionally, until meat is cooked through and tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. "

Oh Maryann, I so loved phesant growing up. Good luck, you're going to love it. Be sure to make gravy and mashed potatoes - Roy (OOOOPS, I mean Ron) and your dad will think they are in heaven!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking pheasant... by cjs (My mother used to do...)
Thank you both! Now to decide which recipe to use! This is going to be a tough one, both recipes sound great, but I'm leaning to Jean's recipe because it's more like the way Ron likes his food cooked. He's not real crazy about sour cream sauces as good as that sounds, Daphne.

Jean, my dad won't be here for this one, as I only got one pheasant from my FIL this time. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cooking pheasant... by Mare749 (Thank you both! Now...)
(take a picture of Ron's face after dinner...he's so cute!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking pheasant... by cjs ((take a picture of R...)
"(take a picture of Ron's face after dinner...he's so cute!) " Ditto!

I think you're going to love pheasant. Actually, I think you're going to wish FIL had brought more home...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.