Big Mama’s Hushpuppies
  Re: (...)
These are so yummy!!!! I made just one half the recipe - darn good thing I did, hard to keep Roy Richard out of them.

Big Mama’s Hushpuppies – Ed Burkes
[Image: HushPuppies.jpg]

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 cup milk
1 green onion, very finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten ‘til frothy

Sift all dry ingredients together – cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.

Blend eggs, milk and green onions together with a whisk and add to dry ingredients. Blend well with whisk or spoon. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

In a large, heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat enough oil for a depth of 3 to 4” to 350° F.

Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls into the hot oil being careful not to splash yourself. Do not over-crowd your fryer. Turning periodically, cook until hushpuppies are a medium golden brown and cooked all the way through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.

And here is today mid-day dinner. Really very tasty.
[Image: Stkfriteshushpuppies.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Big Mama’s Hushpuppies by cjs (These are so yummy!!...)
Oh, Jean! Those look sooooo good! I have always been a failure at hushpuppies. We have a local mill that produces a mix, among other things. I never really cared for them anyway....too dense for my taste. I'll have to try these, maybe I'll have more luck with this recipe. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Big Mama’s Hushpuppies by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Jean! Those loo...)
NOooOOoOooo you had to show a picture of fried food. I haven't had anything fried in about 6 weeks and the withdrawls are killing me.

Those look amazing...I mean really really good!
  Re: Re: Big Mama’s Hushpuppies by DFen911 (NOooOOoOooo you had ...)
Those are beautiful. I love hush puppies, but I've only made them with the leftover coating from my sole meuniere. This is a duh moment, I can just make them! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
  Re: Re: Big Mama’s Hushpuppies by Cubangirl (Those are beautiful....)
Cool! Gotta try this. Have always wanted to make hushpuppies, but have never done so and have not even looked for the recipe. Just always had other things to make.

Now that I have saved this tested recipe, I'll have to try them soon.

Thanks, Jean!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Big Mama’s Hushpuppies by labradors (Cool! Gotta try thi...)
You're all welcome and they sure are good. Bless Ed's heart for sharing his recipe, finally!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com