Just playing
  Re: (...)
Well I have two projects for the next couple weeks. I'm going to work on "the salad" and try to get all the ingredients measured and the procedure down. I made it again last night - Francois said it was the best salad he'd ever had in his life.

We went over to Joan's (LvsTahoe) today to get "our" bacon (group project) curing. I had this weird dream last night - involving the bacon cure and current bacon "trends". We will probably go over to smoke the 4th or 5th. Jean I made notes in the book so I'll know what we did. One cure is pretty standard. The other cure is . . . well, I'd have to swear you all to secrecy and . . .

While the bacon is smoking Joan and I are going to make lots of pasta. Bob's going to fix her computer while we're playing. Oh, and he's going to keep the margaritas flowing. It'll be a 2 day process - but it'll be fun.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Just playing by Harborwitch (Well I have two proj...)
Sounds like a great time, Sharon. Can't wait to see the final recipe on "the salad" if you are planning to post it.

Just curious, do you have to drive the motorhome everywhere you go, or did you take a car with you as well? I'm only asking because Ron and I are still trying to figure out how we want to do it when we are able to take off on a cross- country trip some day....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Just playing by Mare749 (Sounds like a great ...)
When we bought the motor home we left our minivan here. On the way back out we towed a 5 x 9 trailer full of "stuff", mostly food that I didn't want to give or throw away, a few additional cooking toys, some misc. clothes etc.

We are planning on getting a car dolly so that we can tow the van. We thought about what we needed to tow a car 4 down (all wheels on the ground) - EXPENSIVE to retrofit a vehicle that's not meant to be towed and we don't want to buy another car - unless there's a deal and we can sell the van.

The problem with retrofitting is that it's vehicle specific, and if you change vehicles you have to buy again. A car dolly is universal.

We got a hitch put on the minivan but have to beef up the suspension with air bags, possibly new shocks. We put tires with better towing capabilities on the rear.

Geeze - when did I have to learn all this???
  Re: Just playing by Harborwitch (Well I have two proj...)
Quote:

I'm going to work on "the salad" and try to get all the ingredients measured and the procedure down.

Did I miss something? What kind of salad?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Just playing by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I was wondering the same thing, Laura - I missed it too.

Sharon, I also finally got my last batch of bacon curing Tuesday. I upped the black pepper and also minced some jalapenoes in this batch. Anxious to try it.

Sounds like you'll have a fun week.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Just playing by cjs (I was wondering the ...)
I've served this salad twice now - but more as a whim. This weekend I'll measure, take pictures, and post the recipe for y'all - unless I find a contest to enter it in first. Oh so good.

The bacon sounds great Jean. We're going to be on the hunt for pork cheeks (Jowls). Those were so superb. I could eat smoked jowls all the time. If it hadn't been for Billy talking about them all the time I'd have missed.