How do you clean mushrooms?
  Re: (...)
Ron loves mushrooms, so I use them often. I have such a problem with just wiping them off with a damp cloth which is what the TV cooks seem to do. What about dirt, germs, bacteria, etc? It just seems to me that they should be thoroughly washed with water!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by Mare749 (Ron loves mushrooms,...)
I wipe them with a damp paper towel. I used to rinse them in water and stopped. They just get water logged.

And - a little dirt doesn't hurt you!
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by HomeCulinarian (I wipe them with a d...)
I do the same as Jeanette. I think they grow in some kind of high acid medium, so it's not dirt... technically
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by farnfam (I do the same as Jea...)
I just wash them quickly under water - I'm not a great believer about the water logged theory.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by cjs (I just wash them qui...)
I also wash them quickly under water and dry them with a paper towel.
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by farnfam (I do the same as Jea...)
Quote:

I do the same as Jeanette. I think they grow in some kind of high acid medium, so it's not dirt... technically

That's what I was wondering, Cis. That makes me feel a little better about it. But, actually I was thinking more about the people who don't use the tongs to pick them up like they are suppose to when purchasing. Still makes me think it might be better to rinse them, then dry quickly. Or maybe I'm just too much of a germaphobe.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The advice against washing mushrooms is a myth. It is perfectly okay to rinse them under running water then dry them with paper towels. They only get waterlogged if you leave them soaking in the water for an extended time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by labradors (The advice against w...)
That's good to know. I was under the same misconception as Jeannette and Maryann.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by Gourmet_Mom (That's good to know....)
- Sometimes I'm glad Labs is so straight-forward, I was trying to be tactful...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How do you clean mushrooms? by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Quote:

Smile - Sometimes I'm glad Labs is so straight-forward, I was trying to be tactful...

Jane & I have debated this for years--just do what you want and drink wine with dinner--that will take care of 95% of any problems, your immune system (if not impared) will take care of another 4%--from there it doesn't matter how you clean them!! But NEVER let them soak!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".