Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels
  Re: (...)
We always go to Holly's for Halloween and have a little appetizer party. They always ask me to make some kind of pinwheel with cream cheese. I have a few standbys, but sure would like some new ones if anyone has a favorite they would like to share.

The one I make has cream cheese, sour cream, broccoli, carrots, red or green onions, rolled up in a tortilla, then sliced before serving.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by Mare749 (We always go to Holl...)
Sorry, not a cream cheese recipe, but these ARE my all-time favourite roll ups: Mushroom-and-Chicken-Sausage Rolls. They don't contain any pre-made or store-bought sausage, but the filling IS a sausage made from mushrooms and ground chicken. That is rolled up in puff pastry, sliced into little discs and baked, then served with sweet chili sauce for dipping. Simply out of this world!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by labradors (Sorry, not a cream c...)
Rob, Those sound great!

I have made these. They were good. Might have used store bought bread dough.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pizza Rolls

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup Water
1 whole egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons italian seasoning
1 1/2 cups Bread Flour
1 1/2 cups Wheat Flour
3 tablespoons Dry milk powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Active Dry yeast
FILLING:
spaghetti sauce
pepperoni slices -- chopped
1/3 cup parmesan cheese

Add ingredients (except filling) to the bread pan in the order your manufacturer recommends. Select dough setting and let machine run the full cycle. Then on a floured surface roll out to about 1/2 inch thick rectangle, spread a fairly thin layer of your favorite spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce over the entire surface, spread pepperoni and cheese on top. Roll tightly into a long roll and cut in 3/4 inch slices (kind of like cinnamon rolls). Place on greased cookie sheet or half sheet, using a spatula press down on them a bit to flatten them out and bake at 450 degrees for about 12-15 mins. They can be frozen but might not ever make it to the freezer. Be careful they will burn if left too long in oven.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : You can be creative with the fillings in these, make them all vegetarian, try different sauces and cheeses etc.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by esgunn (Rob, Those sound gre...)
Maryann, I do this "Veggie Pizza" thing where you mix ranch dressing MIX with cream cheese (1:2), spread it out on a platter and top with "sections" of black olives, tomatoes, green onions, red peppers, shredded mozzarella cheese, and shredded cheddar. I have subbed other veggies and used green olives also. We use Scoops or regular tortilla chips to scoop it up. It is ALWAYS a big hit.

ANYWAY, I think the same could be done, but roll it up in the wrapper. I know this is very much like what you do normally, but the addition of the Ranch Mix gives it such a GREAT flavor.

Also, I think Lorraine or Sharon has a recipe they use. I think I may have it in MC. I'll go check. It's Sharon's. Here you go:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pepperoni and Asiago Pinwheels

Recipe By :Harborwitch
Serving Size : 60 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup asiago Cheese -- grated
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry sheet -- half of 17.3 ounce package
2 tablespoons honey dijon mustard
2 ounces pepperoni sausage -- about 24 1 1/2 inche diameter slices
1 large egg -- beaten to blend
Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray

Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Cut puff pastry crosswise in half to form 2 rectangles. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over 1 puff pastry rectangle, leaving 1-inch plain border at 1 long edge. Place half of pepperoni in single layer atop mustard. Top pepperoni with half of cheese mixture. Brush plain border with egg. Starting at side opposite plain border, roll up pastry, sealing at egg-coated edge. Transfer pastry roll, seam side down, to medium baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry rectangle, mustard, pepperoni, cheese mixture, and egg. Chill rolls until firm, about 30 minutes, or wrap and chill up to 1 day. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil. Lightly spray with vegetable oil spray. Cut each pastry roll into about thirty 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Transfer pinwheels to prepared sheets. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to platter; serve.

Source:
"From Cuisine at Home Forum"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52467&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, I do this "...)
Oh my word, I used to make so many different kinds of wraps for buffets - they are like pizza, you can never run out of ideas for filling.

#1:
smoked turkey
Romaine
tomatoes
sharp cheddar
bacon

#2:
combine: 1/2 cup mayo, 3 T. cilantro, gr. onion, chipotle chilies in adobo, lime juice
smoked turkey
romaine

#3:
shrimp
crushed p.apple
orange marmalade
cilantro
ginger
cream cheese
Asian Sweet chili sauce (use to drizzle over cut wraps)
salt & pepper

#4:
Saute: portobello mushrooms, olive oil, mexican-style stewed tomatoes (cook down)
goat cheese
gr. onions
cilantro
yellow bell peppers
plum tomatoes
baby spinach

#5:
turkey breast, jack cheese, roasted red peppers, lettuce, tomatoes

Roast beef, cheddar (or horseradish cheese), red onion, dijon, lettuce, tom.

Baked ham, muenster, avocado, honey mustard, lettuce, tom.

and then there is -
peanut butter mixed with honey and thin sliced bananas (these don't hold up for any length of time)

p.butter and jam

ricotta cheese, apricot jam, toasted almonds

I can't remember anymore right now. Everybody always loved the wraps - I don't think they will ever go out of style.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by cjs (Oh my word, I used t...)
wow, I love these pinwheel ideas. I do have a recipe somewhere, but not handy. Just so glad you brought this up Maryann, the more the merrier......esp. with the holidays approaching!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by chef_Tab (wow, I love these pi...)
"esp. with the holidays approaching!" DITTO!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by Gourmet_Mom ("esp. with the holid...)
Wow, great response! Thank you everyone! There are some great sounding recipes here. I'm glad I asked for ideas too. It's fun to have some new ones to make for the holidays.

I'll have an opportunity to make some more of these next week as well. There is a group of us going to one of those "night at the races" fundraisers and even though they serve some food, I guess everyone takes app trays.

Jean, I think the grandkiddies would like their lunch wrapped up with some of the ideas you mentioned.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Roll-up snacks aka pinwheels by Mare749 (Wow, great response!...)
Maryann, speaking of the grands, this may be old news, but when I was "retired" for a while, I'd make a breakfast wrap. It was nothing more than sausage or bacon, (if time allowed sautéed onion) cooked, crumbled, and drained, egg scrambled in, top with cheese, and put it on the wrap. Roll and wrap in foil and send them out the door with a cup of juice or milk. That was a favorite.

Speaking of my brief retirement days (a year)....better to have not retired, than retired and gone back to work....OIY!
Daphne