Verjus or Verjuice
  Re: (...)
Found this article very interesting! Now gonna go find some and see what it's like

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/dining....html?_r=2
  Re: Verjus or Verjuice by DFen911 (Found this article v...)
It's weird, I don't like fruit in most dishes, but I like wine in many. I may have to give this a try. While, I won't find the product locally, what's wrong with making my own?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Verjus or Verjuice by Gourmet_Mom (It's weird, I don't ...)
If you get some, be sure to get some black mustard seeds and make your own Dijon mustard. Verjuice, instead of vinegar or wine, is called for in the original Dijon recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Verjus or Verjuice by labradors (If you get some, be ...)
Oh Labs did not know that This is gonna be fun.
  Re: Re: Verjus or Verjuice by DFen911 (Oh Labs did not know...)
I didn't know that either, Labs, but what a good idea to do with it. I'll use it in my Dijon mustard - I like making mustards at Christmas. (Labs, didn't we talk about mustards a year or so ago?)

One of my dishes for a fund-raiser in Windsor a few years ago called for Verjus and that got me started on it. I like to use it.

This is the dish I made - it's really good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

NOODLE GALETTE WITH SAUTÉED MUSHROOMS AND CUMIN-INFUSED CELERY ROOT BROTH

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey - adaptation of a Charlie Trotter dish
Serving Size : 4

8 ozs capellini
Salt & pepper
1 oz butter
1 shallot, minced
1 cup each oyster & hedgehog mushrooms (I used 3/2 oz. Shiitake, 3/4 oz. dried wild mix, & 1/2 oz. dried oyster-for 4 serving size recipe)
1 head Boston lettuce, coarsely chopped
2 T verjuice
6 c celery root juice
1 Tbsp cumin seeds, toasted & ground
1/4 c celery leaves
2 Tbsps chiffonade-cut red swiss chard
4 tsps olive oil mixed with couple drops of hot sauce
2 teaspoons caviar

The galette: Cook the capellini in boiling salted water for 2-2 1/2 min., or till al dente.

Drain & season w/s&p.
Line a sheet pan (for 4 servings-an 8X8") w/plastic wrap & spread capellini evenly in pan.

Cover tightly with plastic wrap, place another pan on top of capellini & weight it down w/a brick or something. Refrig. at least 3 hours.

Remove the weighted pan & the top layer of plastic wrap from the galette.

Using a 2 1/2" ring cutter, cut (4) discs out of the noodle galette.

Place 1/2 the butter in hot, nonstick sauté pan & quickly add the galettes. Cook over high heat for 2-3 min. on ea. side, or till golden and crispy.
Remove the galettes from the pan & blot on p. towels.

The mushrooms & lettuce: Place the shallot & remaining 1/2 of butter in a hot sauté pan & cook for 1 min.
Add the mushrooms & cook for 3-4 min., or till shrooms are tender.

Add the lettuce & verjuice, & cook for 2-3 min., or till lettuce is wilted.
Season w/s&P.

The broth: Simmer the celery root juice & cumin over med. heat for 10 min., and strain thru a fine-mesh sieve.
Season to taste w/s&p.

Assembly: Place some of the mushroom & lettuce mixture in center of shallow bowls and top w/warm galette.
Ladle some of the celery root broth into the bowls (over & around the galettes) & sprinkle with celery leaves & swiss chard.

Drizzle chili-oil around the plates, place 1/2 tsp. caviar in center of galette & top w/freshly ground pepper.

Serving Ideas : ----------
Wine - Celery root is the dominant flavor - a Gavi from Italy (Massone) would be perfect.
June suggested Principessa Gavia by Banfi, or Villa Rosa Gavi di Gavi (both ~$12.00 retail).
A Viognier might go w/as well.

-----
Verjus is used in gastriques, such as this one.
I did this a couple of times for dinner parties - very good starter served with a little frisee salad.

PORT & VERJUS REDUCTION

For Port glaze
2/3 cup white verjus (juice of unripe fruits, primarily grapes) or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup Tawny Port
3 tablespoons sugar

Bring verjus, Port, and sugar to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then boil until syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 8 to 12 minutes.

For foie gras toasts (or country pâté)
12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices pain de mie, Pullman loaf, or firm white sandwich bread, crusts discarded
1 lb chilled foie gras terrine, unmolded if necessary
Fleur de sel or kosher salt to taste

Make toasts:
Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 400°F.

Toast bread slices on a baking sheet, turning over once, until pale golden, about 8 minutes. Cut foie gras terrine into 12 slices (about 1/4 inch thick) and put 1 on each toast (trim toasts to size of foie gras if desired). Sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel, then halve toasts diagonally. Let toasts stand, loosely covered with plastic wrap, 5 to 10 minutes, to bring foie gras to room temperature.

Put 1 foie gras toast on each of 12 plates and drizzle with Port glaze, then divide salad among plates.

My note: These toasts are also delicious with a slice of country pâté substituted for the foie gras.

Daphne, I even found a recipe for it - I'll post it when I find it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com