lots of peppers-- ideas?
  Re: (...)
I have started to clean out the garden (even though we haven't yet had a "killing frost"-- amazing!). I now have 2 pounds of jalapenos, 2 pounds of not-too-hot peppers (mainly poblanos and a variety called "fajita bell"), and 4 pounds of bell peppers.

I've already stuffed 2 batches of bell peppers and frozen them,and will probably just freeze the rest of the bell peppers to use throughout the winter.

A couple of weeks ago I grilled a lot of jalapenos and poblanos over a wood fire, then dehydrated them and ground into powder. I may just do this again, but thought that you all may have some different ideas for me.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: lots of peppers-- ideas? by foodfiend (I have started to cl...)
Poblanos - roast, peel, slice, freeze. Jalapenos - pickles. Just my 2 cents.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: lots of peppers-- ideas? by Harborwitch (Poblanos - roast, pe...)
When I have a lot of peppers, I just slice them up, freeze them on cookie sheets, then put into freezer bags. That way, I can reach in and grab a handful any time I need some.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: lots of peppers-- ideas? by Mare749 (When I have a lot of...)
Yes. It's so great to be able to do that.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: lots of peppers-- ideas? by Harborwitch (Yes. It's so great ...)
I do as Sharon does with the bells and not so hot/larger peppers - roast, clean and freeze whole, then pkg. up.

Jalapenos, I just rinse off and stick in freezer bags and freeze as is - seeds, membrane and all, I never know how I'll want to use them.

I envy you, Vicci - didn't plant much of a garden this year for a change. But, I'm paying for it now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: lots of peppers-- ideas? by cjs (I do as Sharon does ...)
Looks like a good idea that I stocked up on freezer bags last week...

Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought of freezing the jalapenos whole, but if I don't get the time to grill and dehydrate them this week that is what I will do.

Speaking of which, I was grinding the dried jalapenos in my spice grinder last week while DH was outside with a contractor (estimating a couple of projects). At one point, I took an unintentional whiff of the powder as I removed the grinder lid and was coughing so badly that I ran outside for fresh air. I thought that they were down at the barn but noooooooo, both guys stared at me, eyes streaming and barely able to talk, and it wasn't for a minute or two that I was even able to explain what was happening. The area around my nose burned and was tender for a couple of hours afterward. No surprise, then, that I haven't had the nerve to use that smoked jalapeno powder just yet!

You know, maybe I will go ahead and freeze them...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: lots of peppers-- ideas? by foodfiend (Looks like a good id...)
I don't blame you, Vicci!! Tracie sniffed what she thought was a milkshake in the blender when she was 13/14 - it was horseradish. She almost passed out. Those are dangerous things to get such a big whiff of, that's for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: lots of peppers-- ideas? by cjs (I don't blame you, V...)
Quote:

I don't blame you, Vicci!! Tracie sniffed what she thought was a milkshake in the blender when she was 13/14 - it was horseradish. She almost passed out. Those are dangerous things to get such a big whiff of, that's for sure.

Oh yes, I understand her pain... Horseradish was my intro to spicy food (growing up in Nowhereville, PA there were no ethnic restaurants but my Mom's German relations just loved their horseradish!). Oy. I am remembering that pain quite clearly, now!
Vicci

my cooking adventures