On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for tonight for everyone?

We're having Barley risotto primavera (from Carb Lovers book)

And what a week of B'days we have! Roy's Monday, my youngest daughter, Laurie, Wednesday, granddaugther Karli on Thursday, granddaughter Jennifer has her b'day on Friday, granddaughter Amanda's is on Saturday!!! then there is Lorraine bringing up the rear on next Thursday, the 11th.
Whew!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
That's pretty amazing, Jean. Do they all get together to celebrate?

Dinner tonight will be Braised Beef with Barolo from The Silver Spoon. The roast is bathing nicely in the wine marinade. It should be a very tasty dinner.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by Mare749 (That's pretty amazin...)
Maybe Papusas again?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by farnfam (Maybe Papusas again?...)
I know it's bad when you three can't even tempt me. Maybe BLTs. I miss my tastebuds. And I am so sick of soup.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by chef_Tab (I know it's bad when...)
Well, now that you've seen a dr. you'll be back to top form in no time, Theresa!!!

We used to Maryann, when we were still in CA to gather the troops.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by cjs (Well, now that you'v...)
Tonight is going to be our steak night. Steve leaves early Saturday AM for a 21 day trip and will probably need to be in bed early tomorrow (our usual steak night). Sure love having all that beef in my freezer.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by esgunn (Tonight is going to ...)
I'll bet you do and I'm anxious to get more into our Alley-beef.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by cjs (I'll bet you do and ...)
We've slid the smoking off a day. Sick dogs and not feeling up to snuff.

We're having almond crusted fish, I think the zucchini/potato cakes and ??? I'm thinking some baby lima bean puree with grilled crostini to much on with the news.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by Harborwitch (We've slid the smoki...)
Theresa, I hope you're on the mend.

Maryann, that recipe sounds yummy! Have you had it before? If so, I'll assume it's a good one. Could you share?

Again, since I didn't plan the week's menu, I'm cooking on the fly. I wanted something warm and soupy....so I'm doing French Dip Sandwiches with horseradish cream sauce. I'm trying to decide how to do my bread. I've got Country Crusty French Bread in the freezer. Do I thaw it (William is going to be late.) and toast it up when I make the sandwich? Or do I heat it up (frozen), stuff it, and toast it up?

I picked up a bag of chips to go with it, since fries, my usual side, aren't good left over at school the next day.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: On the Menu for Thursday, 11/4?? by Gourmet_Mom (Theresa, I hope you'...)
I think I'd toast it so it won't get soggy.

Gotta tell you I'm really loving this CarbLovers book - all the recipes are just great. Another winner today -

Barley Risotto Primavera

MAKES: 4 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups cooked quick-cooking barley
1/2 cup white wine (optional)
1 1/2 to 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
1 small zucchini, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot and onion, and cook 4-5 minutes until onion begins to brown. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute or until fragrant.

2. Reduce heat to medium; stir in barley and white wine (if using) or 1/2 cup broth; cook 1 minute or until liquid is absorbed. Add zucchini, bell peppers, and 3/4 cup broth; cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining 3/4 cup broth; cook until vegetables are tender and most of liquid has been
absorbed. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper.

3. Stir in peas; remove from heat. Let stand 1-2 minutes or until peas are thawed but still bright green. Stir in Parmesan cheese just before serving.

Notes: I used 1 1/2 oz. (about 1/3 cup)Parmesan and we thought it was plenty. I also used one roasted poblano pepper I had in the freezer for one of the bells.

Also, I've never seen "quick-cooking barley," so I just cooked up about 1 1/2 cups regular (was way too much, so will be having another dish calling for barley ) I used about 4- 4 1/2 cups of the cooked. Made a nice big pot and enough for two or three dinners (for two).
www.achefsjourney.com