C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak
  Re: (...)
Cuban Flank Steak with Pepper & Tomatoes

Haven't copied one of these recipes for a long time, but this one caught my eye this a.m. Sure sounds like a wintry, aromas-thru-the-house kind of recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by cjs (Cuban Flank Steak wi...)
I have eyed it in the slow cooker book. I think it will be on the menu soon.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by esgunn (I have eyed it in th...)
I missed it in the book.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by cjs (I missed it in the b...)
I'll have to check that out in the slow cooker. I keep forgetting to update my erecipes. They dropped me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by Gourmet_Mom (I'll have to check t...)
This one caught my eye today. Planning to give it a try next week.
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by HomeCulinarian (This one caught my e...)
We looked at flank steak the other day. There was about 1.50 a pound difference between that and fillet. Uh, I've got to find a better source. We've been eyeing that recipe for a while - flank steak was hard to find in ND, now we can find it but . . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by Harborwitch (We looked at flank s...)
I really wish C@H would not take Cuban recipes and convert them to hot/peppery Mexican style recipes. This recipe is flank steak with tomatoes, peppers and onions and bears no resemblance to the Cuban dish that also uses flank steak and bell pepper. Poblanos, jalapenos, red pepper flakes and cilantro are not part of Cuban cooking. You get a completely non-Cuban flavor profile when you add hot peppers and cilantro to food.
The idea of making it in a slow cooker is a good idea. It appears that this is an attempt to recreate Ropa Vieja which is typically made with leftover flank meat that has been used first to make soup. The cooked meat is then repurposed by adding a sofrito with bell peppers, garlic, onions, dry sherry and tomato sauce, and it is served over white rice. My favorite recipe for this uses braised flank (which can be made ahead (fridge or freezer) since I don't use flank for soup. Personally, if I was going to convert it, I'd use a pressure cooker rather than a slow cooker since I always prefer food cooked in the former.
Sorry about the rant, but to me, this recipe shows once again, a lack of respect (or perhaps understanding) for Cuban culture. C@H does not add hot peppers to Bolognese sauce or to Beef Bourguignonne. If anyone is interested in typical ingredients I'd be happy to post my favorite recipe.
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by Cubangirl (I really wish [url=m...)
Cubangirl, I do not mind your rant at all! I would love to have an authentic version of this recipe from you!
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by HomeCulinarian (Cubangirl, I do not ...)
No complaints from me either, CG. Always happy to get an authentic recipe.

Cuisine is always looking for opinions from readers. I frequently get surveys to answer in my email. They might appreciate getting an email from you stating your opinion and sharing your knowledge of what is authentic in Cuban food, so that they don't mislead/and or offend anyone.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: C@H's Erecipe - Cuban Flank Steak by Mare749 (No complaints from m...)
Certainly no complaints from me, either, especially as much of a stickler for authenticity as I am. In fact, when this recipe showed up in the RSS, before I had even checked, I thought, "Wonder how authentic that is and what CubanGirl would think of it." Well, now I know.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?