Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce
  Re: (...)
I apologize that I can't give the source for this recipe - one of the big drawbacks of not being able to import recipes to MC the way I used to.

I had two pcs. of Halibut yesterday, so did each one differently and this was one of the ways. What a great flavor! I'm anxious to have it again with a veggie stir-fry, bet it would really be good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce

2 halibut steaks or fillets -- OR other type of fish (2 to 4)
MARINADE/SAUCE:
1/2 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (available by the bottle at most large grocery stores -- and all Asian/Chinese food stores)
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
6 Tbsp. soy sauce -- (or 3/8 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander -- (1/4 to 1/3)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 cloves garlic -- OR 1 Tbsp. bottled pureed garlic (4 to 6)
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or 1/2 Tbsp. white sugar)

1.Combine all marinade/sauce ingredients together in a bowl, stirring well to dissolve the sugar.

2.Rinse the fish and pat dry. Place in a flat baking dish (like a glass lasagna-type casserole dish), and pour 1/3 of the marinade/sauce over. Reserve the rest for later.

3.Turn the fish several times, making sure all surfaces are covered in sauce. Allow to marinate at least 10 minutes, or up to 24 hours in advance (covered and refrigerated) if preparing for a dinner party.

4.Prepare the grill by brushing on a little oil - this will help prevent sticking. If using a fish cage to barbecue, be sure to also oil the interior surfaces of the cage.

5.Grilling Tips: Grill the fish for at least 3 minutes per side before attempting to turn it - this will also prevent sticking. To check whether your fish is cooked: Insert a fork into the thickest part of the steak and gently pull the meat apart. If the inner flesh is still translucent and dense (not flaky), the fish still requires a few more minutes of cooking time. When done, the inner flesh will be opaque and will flake easily.

6.To serve, warm up the extra marinade/sauce you reserved earlier. You needn't boil it - just warm it up (5 minutes over medium heat is enough). Serve the fish hot off the grill with the extra sauce as a dip on the side. Or, plate up the fish and spoon the sauce over. If desired, garnish with a sprinkling of fresh coriander and serve with jasmine-scented rice. ENJOY

NOte:

This Thai recipe for grilled halibut is easy and delicious. Other types of fish work with this recipe as well, whether steaks or fillets, sole or salmon. Grilled fish isn't as difficult as it seems, especially halibut, which cook easily on the grill without falling apart. The Thai marinade is put together in a matter of minutes, and as a bonus, it doubles as a glaze/dipping sauce. This fish recipe makes a quick and easy meal for everyday, but is also elegant enough to serve at your next barbecue or cookout. Enjoy!

reviewer: “I made this for dinner and marinated the fresh halibut for approximately 4 hours. I gave some of the marinade to a friend who marinated his fish overnight with much better results. Mine was good but his was exceptional. I also added fresh ginger to recipe. I also used some of the marinade as a sauce for a stir fry with celery, fresh beansprouts, mushrooms and bamboo shoots. I washed green leaf lettuce and wrapped pieces of the fish and the stir fry together. This is my kind of food

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by cjs (I apologize that I c...)
can't wait to try this with salmon! thanks for sharing the recipe Jean. I love the idea of making it into lettuce wraps too.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by chef_Tab (can't wait to try th...)
Mercy! You had me at "Sweet Chili Thai Sauce". I have one opening for this week, and catfish is on sale at the grocery store. The catfish I get at the store is a little delicate for this, do you I think I can make it work with foil? If not, I'll have to wait for some dolphin or grouper. I agree with the lettuce wraps idea, also. YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by cjs (I apologize that I c...)
You had me at "Halibut"--sounds delicious and lite. Love the vegis and fish in a lettuce wrap. You could make a canope by putting a piece of fish on an endive spear and top with vegis if they were chopped small enough. Sounds delicious!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by Old Bay (You had me at "Halib...)
I didn't grill mine, it was raining. I roasted it at 375 on a rack over a b. sheet. Worked great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by cjs (I didn't grill mine,...)
Good to know!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Good to know!...)
I made my salmon with this sauce tonight and this sauce is awesome! I heated the extra and we put some on the salmon and more on our quinoa. I find myself trying to find more things to top with this delicious concoction. Thanks again Jean! a real hit.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by chef_Tab (I made my salmon wit...)
OIY! I'm running out of openings, but this has GOT to be on the menu VERY soon!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (OIY! I'm running ou...)
Glad you liked it, Theresa, we sure did.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Halibut in a Sweet Chili Thai Sauce by cjs (Glad you liked it, T...)
This sounds really good. Hmmm perhaps some basa this week since I have it in the freezer.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!