Brussel Sprouts roasted "on the stalk"
  Re: (...)
Got this in an email from Trader Joe's yesterday. I'm sure that Vicci and some others may have already done this, but I found it fascinating. Never even thought to try it.

BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROASTED ON THE STALK
1 TJ’s Brussels Sprout Stalk
3/4 cup TJ’s Maple Syrup
1/4 cup TJ’s Olive Oil
Freshly Ground Black Pepper & Sea Salt, to taste
1 package TJ’s Cranberries &/or TJ’s Fresh Pomegranate Seeds, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°. Trim the stalk down to the fullest, best looking part. Trim sprouts off one side to
make a flat bottom. Trim any “tough” leaves from the sprouts. Rinse stalk and trimmed sprouts well
in fresh water. Wrap damp stalk in cling wrap and heat in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Place the
trimmed loose sprouts in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and microwave for 3 minutes.
Whisk maple syrup and olive oil together. Place stalk flat side down along with any loose sprouts on a
roasting pan and pour the maple syrup mixture over. Use a pastry brush to mop the maple syrup onto all
sides of the sprouts and stalk. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for about
45 minutes or until sprouts on stalk are fork tender and caramelize to a golden color.
To serve: Place stalk on a holiday platter, pour any syrup from roasting pan over and garnish with
something bright and tart such as dried cranberries or fresh pomegranate seeds.
Serves: 6-8
Cooking Time: 50-60 minutes
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Brussel Sprouts roasted "on the stalk" by Mare749 (Got this in an email...)
Well, another 'duh' moment!! Have never thought of roasting them on the stalk! What a great idea. I grab them whenever I see them on the stalk - doesn't happen often, tho.

Thanks for posting this idea, Maryann. Copied for sure. (not too sure of using all that maple syrup, tho)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts roasted "on the stalk" by cjs (Well, another 'duh' ...)
That sounds wonderful! I'll be on the lookout for sprouts on the stalk!
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts roasted "on the stalk" by HomeCulinarian (That sounds wonderfu...)
We wouldn't like it either, Jean. I don't want sweet stuff on my veggies.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts roasted "on the stalk" by Mare749 (We wouldn't like it ...)
Great idea!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura