Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower?
  Re: (...)
For a while, I've been seeing an unfamiliar vegetable in one of the supermarkets. It's one of the most beautiful vegetables I've ever seen, almost (for the mathematically inclined) looking like a fractal:

[Image: romanesca.jpg]

Here, it's called romanesca, and I've found some English web pages where it is called "romanesca cauliflower" and others where it is called "romanesco broccoli."

It has been one of those things that I've seen in the store, but have forgotten to research once I got home. This time, however, I saw a shelf label for it and wrote it down so I'd remember.

So far, since I didn't know anything about it, I have not bought nor tried it, but what I have been reading, this morning (e.g. THIS blog) says that it "has the texture of a cauliflower, but tastes much more like mild sweet broccoli." If that's the case, then I MUST try it, since I LOVE broccoli. Now that I know what it is, and that it would be prepared the same way as broccoli or cauliflower, I'll pick up a head of it the next time I'm at that store.

Do any of you know about this veggie? If so, what is you assessment of it?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by labradors (For a while, I've be...)
I have made this and cooked it as if it were cauliflower. I steamed it and then poured a bechamel sauce on top. It was delicious, but then I love cauliflower and broccoli. And to me, it tasted more like cauliflower.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by chef_Tab (I have made this and...)
Well,I like cauliflower, too, but the cauliflower, here, has not been that great, even though the broccoli has been wonderful.

Guess I'm not the only one who thought of fractals upon seeing this. Check out THIS web page that has some even closer photos.
  Re: Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by labradors (Well,I like cauliflo...)
Rob, you have too much time on your hands
I actually thought of Madonna's cone bra when I first saw this I DO think it looks very cool and would make a great "arrangement" with the brussel sprouts on the stalk.
Theresa

Re: Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by chef_Tab (Rob, you have too mu...)
Alas, as much as I love broccoli, I hate Brussels sprouts.
  Re: Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by labradors (Alas, as much as I l...)
Labs, it does look like a fractal. I'll have to try it. I love cauliflower, but don't care for broccoli as a vegetable, though I love cream of broccoli soup. I think it is the broccoli texture, reminds me of sand. So if it has cauliflower texture and broccoli taste, it may be the best of both worlds. BTW, this is my favorite way to fix cauliflower. It would be gorgeous and very Christmasy with the romanesca.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH PAPRIKA*****

This was so quick and easy and looked so pretty as well. I am putting it on my company veggies list. I adapted a recipe from EF. I drizzled it with EVOO (the original said 2 TBS, but that didn't feel like enough so I just added more by eye. I then spread 1 ½ tsps Penzeys sweet Hungarian Paprika over 2/3 of it and a tsp of Penzey's smoked Spanish over the final 1/3. The recipe did not specify, only said 1½ tsps. paprika, so I wanted to see which I liked more. I sprinkled Kosher salt and white freshly ground pepper over all of it. I also sprinkled Penzey's granulated powder over ½ of the florets with the sweet paprika. (the recipe did not call for garlic). All of it tasted great, but we loved the part with the garlic best. The second time, I made it with the recipe above and DH took a piece every time he passed the pan, I must have as well, because I only had half a pan left by the time I went to serve it.

Servings: 4

Oven Temperature: 450°F

1 head cauliflower florets
4 TBS. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
1½ tsp. sweet Hungarian paprika
1 TBS. granulated garlic.
Kosher salt
freshly ground white pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 450°

Cut the cauliflower into florets slightly larger than bite sized pieces. Drizzle with EVOO all over, then sprinkle with a combo of 1 tsp smoked Spanish and 1 ½ tsp sweet Hungarian , sprinkle granulated garlic, kosher salt. and freshly ground pepper. Toss to cover all.

Roast at 450° for 10 minutes, turn at roast 10 to 15 minutes more until lightly browned and tender. Serve with lemon wedges.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

Author: Mine adapted from Every Day Foods

Recipe Type: Cauliflower, Side Dish, Vegetables
  Re: Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by Cubangirl (Labs, it does look l...)
As often as I've seen this in stores, for some reason I've never bought it - wonder why? hmmmm
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by Cubangirl (Labs, it does look l...)
Sounds perfect to me, Cubana. The only paprika I can get, here, is the smoked (an I happen to have about four pounds of it), but I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks!

Here's one more web page. This one shows it in a garden, not just in the store or kitchen.
  Re: Re: Any of you familiar with Romanesca Cauliflower? by cjs (As often as I've see...)
Jean we've seen it too - but just never brought any home. Might have to try it though. It just looks so pretty and yet "unfriendly" like a grenade. Hmmmmmmmm. Rethinking this.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
I cannot wait to try this recipe. I love paprika! Thanks for sharing your recipe and notes, Cubangirl.
Theresa