Spiced Pumpkin Tart
  Re: (...)
Hello, I am new to this site & am hoping to get some feedback on the Spiced Pumpkin Tart from the Cuisine Holiday Menus magazine from this year. Last year my hubby & I had a pumpkin tart from a fine restuarant & it was a mini one, not like the size of a pie, like the recipe in the Cuisine mag. I've been looking for a recipe ever since & finally came across this one. I need to follow baking directions to the letter. So, my question for those experts out there, how would this tart translate from a "pie-size" to mini tarts? Would I need to adjust the temperature, bake time, etc? Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, someone will know this recipe. The mag is a special edition with Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's recipes. Thanks again.
  Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart by luv2eat (Hello, I am new to t...)
Welcome to the forum, luv2eat - love to see new folks in the neighborhood.

I don't find the recipe you mention in the one Holiday book I have, but no problem with making tartlets from a pie recipe.

The way we love pumpkin pie, I've never made the tartlets, but I'm sure someone will be along with some tips for you. I would say fill and bake them at a lower temperature, 375°F. for approximately 20 minutes or until the center of the pie is set and the crust is golden.

When you think the tartlets are done, stick the point of a knife in the center of one and if it comes out clean, the filling is set.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart by cjs (Welcome to the forum...)
Welcome to the forum luv2eat! Glad you could join us. Stick around and you will have a great time and get lots of new recipes to try. Hope you come back and tell us how the tarts turn out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart by Mare749 (Welcome to the forum...)
Ditto what Maryann said. Welcome.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart by Harborwitch (Ditto what Maryann s...)
I'm also thinking you should add a water bath on the lower rack to help keep them from cracking.

Welcome to the boards!!!
  Re: Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart by DFen911 (I'm also thinking yo...)
Oh, what kind of crust is it??? I thought it was just a regular pasty dough, no?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart by cjs (Oh, what kind of cru...)
POOH! I left my book at school. If I remember correctly, it is just a regular crust. I'll post the recipe tomorrow so the experts can look it over and offer their advice.

And I'll add my WELCOME to you luv2eat! WE love to eat, too! And we'd love to see you join us here regularly. It's a nice group of folks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart by luv2eat (Hello, I am new to t...)
Good Morning, thank you for the kind welcome to the forum. I suppose I should have posted the recipe. I tried to locate it to simply cut/paste, but couldn't find it. For the purpose of time this early morn I've only included a partial recipe, thinking the crust would be the most important piece to help answer my previous question of how well this would translate to mini tarts. If anynone has additional input based on the partial recipe below, I am most grateful! Oh, and I'm happy to share, so if anyone here decides you would like the whole recipe, please just let me know.

Crust:
1/2 cup poweder sugar
1/3 cup pecan halves
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp table salt
1 stick butter
1 egg yolk

Filling:
1 can pumpkin
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 T spiced rum
1 T vanilla
2 tsp pumpkin pie

For the crust, process sugar & 1/3 cup pecans in a food proc until nuts are finely ground. Add flour & salt; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until buttler is pea-sized. Add egg yolk; process until misture clumps together. Press dough evenly into bottom & up sides of prepared pan. Dock bottom of crust by piercing w/ a fork, then freeze 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 deg. Bake crust on a baking sheet until golden brown. Bake the filling 25-30 min until filling is set.
  Re: Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart...repost w/ partial recipe by luv2eat (Good Morning, thank ...)
I'm not the baking guru Denise and PJ are, but I'm thinking with this type of crust (and from how you typed it up, looks like it is pre-baked before filling it?), you don't need to go the water bath route.

But to set the filling, even with them being tartlets, you will probably need to bake them approx. 20 minutes - especially at 350°F. good luck.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spiced Pumpkin Tart...repost w/ partial recipe by cjs (I'm not the baking g...)
Thank you. This is good info.