CH Splendid Soups
  Re: (...)
Just wanted to let everyone know that the CH Splendid Soups special issue is one of their great works. I use it often and weekly during the winter. All the soups are very good and the sides are matched beautifully. This issue changes soup from a unremarkable forethought to the star of the meal. I also like that CH has the no nonsense approach, no long list of un-needed ingredients.
  Re: CH Splendid Soups by VinceF (Just wanted to let e...)
You're right, VinceF! It is a great collection of soups!
  Re: Re: CH Splendid Soups by HomeCulinarian (You're right, VinceF...)
I certainly agree - I think I've made more from this publication than any other.

Vince, when you have a minute, I hope you'll tell us a little about yourself - are you still working 'the kitchens'? What type of cooking do you prefer, if there is any?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: CH Splendid Soups by VinceF (Just wanted to let e...)
Thanks for the thumbs up, VinceF. I had read a lukewarm review of this one on the Cook's Illustrated boards, so I wasn't too sure. This is the one that also has stews and chilies; right?
  Re: Re: CH Splendid Soups by Sue_C (Thanks for the thumb...)
"Cook's Illustrated boards," - well, that sucks!! It's a great book!

And no, they are not the same books -

Splendid Soups & Spectacular Sides is one
(well, just counted this one also, and I've done 10 of them! but, most I also did the called for sides, so many more than the 10)
and
Soups, Stews, & Chilies is the other.
(I've done 10 out of this book and nothing below 'good!'
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CH Splendid Soups by cjs ("Cook's Illustrated ...)
I also have both and love them! Great books!

Vince, I was wondering the same thing. Would love to hear about your adventures in the culinary world.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: CH Splendid Soups by Mare749 (I also have both and...)
Hi Sue C and welcome to the boards!

Vince does that book have a pumpkin soup recipe?
  Re: Re: CH Splendid Soups by DFen911 (Hi Sue C and welcome...)
(not Vince....) no, but does have a wonderful butternut squash soup that I think I gave a 10+
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CH Splendid Soups by cjs ((not Vince....) no, ...)
Is this series available in book stores?

Wait!! Is this the Cuisine at Home Splendid Soups & Spectacular Sides? If so the CH threw me. I have the CAH one and love it!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: CH Splendid Soups by Old Bay (Is this series avail...)
Oh, I agree! This is a great book! I am looking forward to making more from this one AND the Stews and Chili book this winter.

Welcome, Sue! I hope you'll stick around. And whoever said this was a mediocre book is crazy!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.