Play With a Recipe For Me?
  Re: (...)
I didn't dare put the name of the recipe, 'cause most would probably go "yuke" and pass on by. But, let me preface this by saying I have never liked liver until a couple years ago I found I could eat chicken livers, but that's about all - well, I do keep down foie gras.... Now, I find I really do enjoy chicken livers.

I've not seen many recipes using livers in cookbooks, but for the '200 Hors d'oerve/Appetizers' book, I'm wondering what the general consensus would be of you foodies.

Here's the recipe and it really is very tasty....if you can stomach livers, that is.

Chopped Liver & Chips

1 lb. chicken livers
Flour for dredging
2 T. chicken fat or butter
2 small onions, minced
2 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped or forced through a large sieve
Salt and pepper to taste
Rustic Baked potato chips

Rinse the livers and pat dry; dredge in flour and shake off excess. Heat 1 T. of the chicken fat or butter in a sauté pan and sauté the liver pieces quickly in the fat until just barely pink, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.

Remove from skillet and mince. In the same skillet, add remaining tablespoon of chicken fat or butter and sauté minced onions until tender. Remove from heat and add to the livers along with the hard-cooked eggs; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the potato chips, or thin slices of rye or pumpernickel toasts.

-----

any takers for trying it???? Too bad we don't have a Mikie, we could let Mikie try it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Play With a Recipe For Me? by cjs (I didn't dare put th...)
I'll pass this on for William. I don't eat them.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
No liver for me. YUK!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Play With a Recipe For Me? by Old Bay (No liver for me. [im...)
Liver is out for us because of the high cholesterol. Wish I could help out, but between the cholesterol and my dislike of liver I'm out on this one.
  Re: Re: Play With a Recipe For Me? by DFen911 (Liver is out for us ...)
I'd love to help but no liver here, either!
  Re: Re: Play With a Recipe For Me? by karyn (I'd love to help but...)
Wait a minute, I almost volunteered Mom, but then I realized you were talking about livers. Mom loves gizzards, not livers. And I think William is the same. I'll let you know.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

I've not seen many recipes using livers in cookbooks,

Pretty much Rumaki.

Quote:

Here's the recipe and it really is very tasty....if you can stomach livers, that is.

Not a big fan of liver. My usual response, when someone asks if I would like any liver is, "No, thanks. I already have one." Even so, I can tolerate a little bit of it. In particular, the pâté de foie gras used within Beef Wellington, and a maximum of three slices of liverwurst per year (that's not arbitrary - it's just the point at which my taste buds say, "Okay, we enjoyed that much well enough, but NO MORE!").

Quote:

Chopped Liver & Chips

Wonder how it would be with a little mayonnaise, for "Egg-and-Liver Salad & Chips," or dunked into a batter, deep fried and served with French fries for "Liver & Chips" in the style of "Fish & Chips." Just some other ideas, without my actually trying the recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Play With a Recipe For Me? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'll try it Jean. I got used to eating liver when I married Ron. He adores it and that is usually his birthday dinner, liver and onions made in the cast iron skillet, served with mashed potatoes. Then, Holly's Bob is another one. He actually made us pate one time because he loves it so much.

So, yes, I'll be glad to make it (probably Monday) because I know it will be gobbled up around here. I just have to pick up the chicken livers and I'll probably use those little pumpernickel toasts.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Play With a Recipe For Me? by Mare749 (I'll try it Jean. I...)
Your recipe is very similar to my ex mother in law's chopped chicken liver. I made it for many years and served it not only with matzos, but all kinds of crackers and chips. I think my ex even had it once on tortilla chips. If the chips are good enough, folks may be ok with the liver flavor. I never learned to like it, and if I made it now, I'd be tempted to load it with cumin and tarragon and put on TJ's sesame crackers.
  Re: Re: Play With a Recipe For Me? by Cubangirl (Your recipe is very ...)
Considering everything in it, especially the mention of the schmaltz with butter as the alternative, it sounded like a German or Jewish recipe or, at least, had been adapted from one, although a Jewish recipe wouldn't have the butter (not kosher to mix meat and dairy).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?