Extra Cook Books
  Re: (...)
Does anyone else have a hard time finding recipes in the extra books? I have bought every extra cookbook that has been published. Just can't refuse them when offered. I have most all the magazines from Issue #1 and the magazine index is a life saver for them. Obviously, I like Cuisine at Home!

Has anyone found or made an index for the extras? I made one for the Holiday Issue Books, 3 of them, by labeling them H1, H2, H3. I am considering starting on the others, but a huge job. I have requested from Cuisine that they do it....but they say they have no plans for such at this time. I guess the answer is to stop buying them. It is so frustrating to remember seeing a recipe in one of those and having to go thru some 20 books looking for it.
  Re: Extra Cook Books by jayneCA (Does anyone else hav...)
It is frustrating as h*ll, Jayne!! What a good idea, another 'duh' moment - why didn't I think of that. Everytime I look for something, I think I swear at the C@H Gods and shake my fist.

Will spend a morning typing indexes up, I'm thinking. I used to have a magazine index, but don't know what happened to it???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Extra Cook Books by jayneCA (Does anyone else hav...)
What a great idea. Perhaps if a few of us participated we could help each other out with this task.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Extra Cook Books by luvnit (What a great idea. P...)
I'll volunteer to do a couple of books over the holiday. I have most of them, but not all.

I have:

Holiday Menus books (not the baking one)
Weeknight Menus 1 & 3 (not sure why I didn't get 2?)
Cuisine for 2 (both)
Grilling 2 & 3
Cuisine Tonight
Splendid Soups
Fresh & Fabulous
Perfect Pasta
Sandwiches & Salads
Soups Stews & Chilies
Slow Cooker Menus

Sign me up and I'll do an index! What a good idea to share the load, Laura.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Extra Cook Books by Gourmet_Mom (I'll volunteer to do...)
I have several too, and would participate. The indexes are actually printed in the back of the books:

Holiday Menus books (not the baking one)
Holiday Cookies
Weeknight Menus 1 & 2
Cuisine for 2 (just one)
Grilling (just one)
Cuisine Tonight
Splendid Soups
Fresh & Fabulous
Perfect Pasta
Sandwiches & Salads
Soups Stews & Chilies
Laura
  Re: Re: Extra Cook Books by luvnit (I have several too, ...)
Jean, why don't you assign us books to do, and we can send you a Word document of the books we are assigned. Then you can compile them and send them to those who want it.

Although, it would be great to have them in an Excel file. Then you could list them ALL alphabetically for a search...especially if a main ingredient was included. It would be much easier to search for a particular recipe. If you want help with that, let me know. I'm pretty good at working with the program. I can even take a Word document and create a table to manipulate.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Extra Cook Books by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, why don't you ...)
ME??? I know nothing about Excel - and I don't want to learn!

I'd be glad to type up one (or more)of the books, tho. I'll look tomorrow morning and see whic I might have that is not on the lists of everyone so far.

(I've been working my butt off everyday, so excuse the "ME?" comment - I'm up to 74 recipes and now I have to get a lot of them cooked again.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Extra Cook Books by cjs (ME??? I know nothing...)
Well, if everyone will be patient, I'll take this project on. Depending on how soon others create their lists, it will probably be over Christmas before I could put it together. But I think it would be a great thing to have in the end.

Jean, let me know. I'd be happy to do this. In the event that this project comes to me it would help if you would list the recipe title; main ingredient (protein type: beef, pork, poultry, vegetable, dessert) using the semi-colons. I'll put it together in a manipulative format for those that want it. For those that don't, I'll list it however you choose, by title, main ingredient, or cookbook.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Extra Cook Books by Gourmet_Mom (Well, if everyone wi...)
I'd be happy to help Daphne. We could do the different lists, sort them and put them into a PDF for others to view(???).
Laura
  Re: Re: Extra Cook Books by luvnit (I'd be happy to help...)
Hi, I don't have all the books, but would be happy to help as well. I would be happy to do the ones I do have.
Here is a list of all I could find at the store: I bolded the ones I definitely know (there might be a couple more I don't have)I do not have:
Holiday Cooking

* New! Holiday Menus Vol. 3
* Holiday Baking
* Holiday Menus Vol. 2
* Holiday Menus Vol. 1
* Holiday Cookies

Comfort Cooking

* Slow Cooker
* Splendid Soups
* Soups, Stews, & Chilies
* Perfect Pasta - SOLD OUT

Weeknight Cooking

* Cuisine Tonight Favorites
* Fresh & fabulous
* Cuisine Lite
* Weeknight Menus Vol. 3
* Weeknight Menus Vol. 2
* Cuisine for Two Vol. 2
* Cuisine for Two Vol. 1
* Sandwiches & Salads
Our Favorite Recipes
* Cuisine Tonight Favorites
Our Favorite Weeknight Menus
* Smart Carb Cooking
* Top 200 Kitchen Tips

Grilling

* Cuisine Grilling Vol. 4
* Cuisine Tonight Grilling Vol. 3
* Cuisine Tonight Grilling Vol. 2 - SOLD OUT
* Weeknight Grilling Vol. 1 - SOLD OUT

I can do Excel or Access. It would not be hard at all to convert a Word document or even text to Excel if it all were formatted one recipe per line, something like shown below, a tab between the recipe and the book and another between the book and the page # would be a plus (if you can't no worries, that is why copy and paste was invented):

Meatloaf Burgers Weekend Nights page 47
Chicken Carbonara Weeknight Menus 1 page 9
Apple Pie Bars Holiday Cookies page XX

If folks wanted to type them like this, I would be happy to gather them all and format them in an Excel Spreadsheet and email that to whomever would like it.

Another solution would be to scan the table of contents for each bookazine, then OCR it to a Word document.

I assume you all know the magazine index is available electronically. BTW, one of the cool features of Living Cookbook 2011 is that you can do attachments, so I just created a technique called [Email]C@H[/Email] Index and attached the index pdf file. Now while I am looking for recipes I can just click on that, instead of having to leave LC and go find the file. I also added the index page to the web pages.

As an aside, I just discovered I could change how I view posts, I can now actually read the post dates and the type size increased too . Wish I'd known this before.

PS, just read the post before this one, if you want to add the ingredients that is way more time consuming than just typing the info from the table of contents. However, if those 3 items are available and formatted in Excel, adding one or two ingredients to the existing spreadsheet, as time permits, would be super easy. Once you get past 2, it will lose functionality in terms of sorting and searching imho. You are basically creating a giant index which without a specifically formatted search macro will not be much use to most people.