Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin?
  Re: (...)
I'm just wondering if any has made this recipe from Issue 78? I want to make it for Thanksgiving, but generally don't like to make recipes for a group when I know nothing about them... especially for a non-crowd-friendly thing like brussel sprouts!

If you have - let me know how it turned out. Also, I'm wondering how much the bacon adds to it (yes, i know bacon makes everything better!) so I can consider making this vegetarian for a family member.

Thanks!!
  Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by sjm182 (I'm just wondering i...)
Welcome to the forum, sjm - I did a search and no one has reviewed the gratin, but maybe someone did make it and they'll see this post. I have not made it.

But, about your bacon question - you're right bacon adds such a great flavor to dishes, but - between the sprouts, leeks and cheese, I'd bet there would be plenty of flavor without the bacon. If you make this - let us know how you like it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by cjs (Welcome to the forum...)
welcome sjm, sorry, I have not made that recipe either. I am so hooked on roasted brussel sprouts, I don't seem to make them any other way! I agree with Jean, if you do make them, let us all know the results.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by chef_Tab (welcome sjm, sorry, ...)
I agree, roasted is amazing! But I'm trying to win my family over to them and thought this would ease them in. I've decided to make them so I'll post a review.

-Sara
Sara J.
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by sjm182 (I agree, roasted is ...)
sjm,

Do I know you from a different and totally unrelated site?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by BarbaraS (sjm,[br][br]Do I kno...)
Welcome. We love them, your recipe sounds like it would be great even without the bacon, although, a bit of bacon is always tasty.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by Lorraine (Welcome. We love th...)
Welcome, sjm! I'm looking forward to your review. Like you, I have tried brussel sprouts with my family and they don't care for them, so I'll be interested in your review. Glad to have you on the boards!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by Lorraine (Welcome. We love th...)
Oh sjm, to win folks over, you might think about this Cuisine at Home recipe - it is absolutely wonderful!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dijon Cream Sauce*****
Toss:
1 lb. Brussels sprouts -- halved lengthwise
2 cups red onions -- cut into wedges
8 oz. kielbasa -- 1/2 inch thick slices (subbed mini meatballs from home made bulk sausage)
2 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper
Simmer:
1/2 cup heavy cream (subbed canned milk-no heavy cream)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 T. honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 450°.

Toss sprouts, onions, and kielbasa in a bowl with the oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast 20 minutes (30 minutes was perfect), or until sprouts are tender, yet still crisp.

Simmer cream, mustard, honey, and vinegar in a saucepan over low heat for 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. To serve, spoon sauce over roasted sprouts.

-----

Makes: 6 Cups

Description:
"Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 24 - first made for Sunday brunch, 11/4/07"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You could divide the dish up between two casseroles and put the kielbasa in one - this one is so good!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by cjs (Oh sjm, to win folks...)
I'm a simple gal when it comes to sprouts. First I cook up some small diced bacon (about 3 slices), when cooked thru spoon out to paper towel. Leave drippings in the pan. Add about 1-2 TBS of oil if there isn't enough bacon drippings.

Cut sprouts in half, and place cut side down into drippings and brown on the cut side till golden. Then add some chicken stock. How much you need depends on how big your pan is and how many sprouts you do. I let it come up the side of the sprout to about 1/4. Cover and cook for about 10 min, then uncover and let the stock evaporate. They should just be fork tender. If you want them cooked more then cover and let them cook. As you plate sprinkle some parmesean cheese and then the bacon bits. Y.U.M!
  Re: Re: Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin? by cjs (Oh sjm, to win folks...)
We will definitely try this one!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".