Looking for a potato recipe from long ago...
  Re: (...)
I have searched for this and have been wanting to make it but I can't remember the name.

It is potatoes that are thin sliced and placed into a small skillet overlapping. I believe there was swiss cheese and cream too. You cook it and then flip it over to serve a beautiful spiral golden potato dish.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I remember serving it with Steak Dianne, if that helps.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Looking for a potato recipe from long ago... by luvnit (I have searched for ...)
The first one is the one I think you're looking for, but I included the second, just in case:

* Exported from MasterCook *

3-Cheese Potato Gratin

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Combine:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic -- peeled, smashed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Add -- Simmer:
3 lbs. russet potatoes -- peeled, thinly sliced
Toss -- Layer with Potatoes:
1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese -- grated
1/2 cup gruyere cheese -- or Swiss; grated
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 450°. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine milk, cream, garlic, and spices in a large saucepan.

Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 8 minutes. Discard garlic.

Toss grated cheeses with flour; set aside. Layer half the potatoes in the casserole dish. Sprinkle half the cheese mixture over the potatoes. Add remaining potatoes and pour the milk mixture over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture. Coat a piece of foil with nonstick spray and tightly cover baking dish; bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until gratin is browned and bubbly. Let gratin rest 10–15 minutes before serving.

Source:
"Cuisine at home, February 2003, Issue 37, p. 19"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gratin Dauphinois

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

3 Large potatoes -- peeled and thinly sliced
1 Large onion -- finely chopped
250 g Emmenthal cheese or mozzarella -- grated* (8.75 oz.)
6 Cloves garlic -- crushed
1/2 whole nutmeg -- freshly grated
1 teaspoon salt -- to taste
1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- freshly ground, to taste
1 pint milk -- more if needed

Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F.

In an 10 x 8 x 3-inch deep oven-proof dish** place a layer of potatoes and sprinkle on a layer of onions. Then add salt, garlic and pepper and top with a layer of the grated cheese.

Repeat this until you reach the top of the dish and ensure that you end up with the cheese on top.

Gently pour in the milk until it reaches the top layer of potatoes (but it shouldn't cover it).

If your oven has a tendency to overheat, place a bit of cooking foil over the top, but ensure that some of the dish is exposed as the milk has to evaporate.

Bake for 1 hour (if you've used foil, remove it from the dish after 45 minutes).

If you see some liquid, then place the dish back in the oven for a further 10 minutes.

Serve.

Description:
"This is a traditional French recipe that will spice up the humble spud and turn it into one of the main attractions of a carefully planned meal. Gratin Dauphinois (gra-tan doe-fee-nwah) is quite flavoursome, so it is perfect with a steak or sausage."

NOTES : Variations and Other Suggestions
I used fresh mozzarella and russet potatoes. I also used about 1/2 a nutmeg for this amount of potatoes. In addition I used half and half instead of whole milk and used the whole pint.

**If you want an even more garlicky taste, then rub butter in the bottom of the dish and then rub with a clove of garlic. This has the added advantage of giving the dish a wonderful buttery taste.
*Emmenthal is a relatively strong cheese, so you may want to use a Cheddar, Monterey Jack or even mozzarella.
Some people replace milk with a bechamel sauce1. If you opt for this, watch your gratin carefully as there may not be enough liquid to cook the potatoes.
Gratin Dauphinois is also a great centre piece for a vegetarian meal. If you go for this option, try adding a sprinkling of nutmeg to one or two layers. This will help bring out the flavour of the cheese and the pepper.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for a potato recipe from long ago... by Gourmet_Mom (The first one is the...)
I think your second recipe is it! Funny I think I was told they were Daphne Potatoes! It was an individual portion. I didn't recall the nutmeg, but it sounds really good. I am so excited to try this again. Thank you!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Looking for a potato recipe from long ago... by luvnit (I think your second ...)
For individual potato galettes, Laura, you might check out Issue #66, page 19 - there is a galette recipe there and you could doctor it up with the cheese you liked from a previous one??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for a potato recipe from long ago... by Gourmet_Mom (The first one is the...)
Laura, Here is another easy one for individual potato gratins. Your daughterw would probably have fun making this one.

* Exported from MasterCook *

5-Minute Individual Potato Gratins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4-6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Vegetable spray
2 large russet potatoes -- roughly peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
2 green onions -- finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray 8 muffin tins with vegetable spray. Layer potato slices, cheese, and onions into each muffin cup. Season with salt and pepper and top each gratin with 1 or 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, removing the foil halfway through cooking time. Invert gratins onto plate and serve.

The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.

Source:
"Melissa d'Arabian"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/5-minute-individual-potato-gratins-recipe/index.html"
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.