Got another Question
  Re: (...)
Mom picked out this Cranberry Jello stuff for me to make and it has 1 cup of celery in it. Here's the ingredients list. I'm really tempted to leave it out. BTW, it's a Charleston (SC) Junior League Recipe:

3 oz package of cherry jello
1 package of gelatin
1 c hot water
1 c sugar
1 T lemon juice
1 orange
15 1/2 oz crushed pineapple, juices reserved
2 c fresh cranberries
1 c chopped celery
1 1/2 c chopped pecans

Opinions?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Got another Question by Gourmet_Mom (Mom picked out this ...)
If you don't like the taste of celery, cut some jicama into similar size pieces and add it. Lots of crunch, fresh feel, very little taste.

Or water chestnuts. (edited to add)
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Got another Question by Old Bay (If you don't like th...)
I have made that salad several times, but I leave the celery out. Bill thank you!! Never thought to use jicama or chestnuts. I love the idea of having that crunch factor put back in
  Re: Re: Got another Question by Old Bay (If you don't like th...)
I was gonna suggest water chestnuts, but you beat me to it!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Got another Question by luvnit (I was gonna suggest ...)
I'm going to call Mom tomorrow and see what she thinks. I can't imagine her wanting the celery in it. SHE doesn't like celery...never remember having ANYTHING with celery in it as a kid.

If I have some water chestnuts, I'll add them. No way will I find Jicama tomorrow. Otherwise, I think I'll just add another cup of nuts or just leave it out all together. Before I add extra nuts, I'll look at the mixture and see if it really needs it.

Thanks, you guys!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Got another Question by Gourmet_Mom (I'm going to call Mo...)
You're all crazy - celery is great in jello. Love it with orange jello with carrots and celery.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Got another Question by cjs (You're all crazy - c...)
Quote:

You're all crazy - celery is great in jello. Love it with orange jello with carrots and celery.

I do too. I put both water chestnuts and celery in my chicken salad. Delicious, people that don't like celery eat it --including Cheesemonger--maybe the combination is something symbiotic.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Got another Question by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You may be right. Somehow, I think I've had this...WITH the celery. I'm going to leave it up to Mom. The main one that wouldn't like the idea is Ashley, but she's already told me she doesn't like jello dishes. WHERE did I go wrong?

When I told her about it, she said that jello dishes remind her of the "green stuff" Mom makes from lime jello, cottage cheese, nuts, pineapple...among other stuff. She said the color always put her off, so she never tried it and has hated jello stuff ever since...LOL!

I'm suddenly reminded of jello shots? HMMMMMMM? I think she may be stretching the truth here a little.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Got another Question by Gourmet_Mom (You may be right. S...)
Shooters!! And you'll never taste the celery!!!

Or, burp a bunch later!! Yah!!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Got another Question by BarbaraS (Shooters!! And you'...)
That's it, make innocent little jello shooters, Daphne.... everyone will be happy, happy...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com